ummmmmm BIG BIG problem PLEASE respond ASAP

Bluesling

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my "red island birdeater" has no fange,,,thats why she so skinny,i put a fuzzy in there she hit it hard and ferious,but np penitration,,,is there any thing i can do?like crush crickets and fed off of tonges?or do i have to just wait it out?

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Have you actually seen that it doesn't have any fangs? What species (latin/scientific name) are you referring to?

"Cricket soup" would probably be the best way to go - mush up some crickets and put it near its mouth to eat. There was a good article in a journal not too long ago about this - perhaps it was in the BTS journal?

Kizzywhizzy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think that you can mach up crickets and make a cricket soup.

Bluesling

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Phormictopus altrichromatus

sorry in the haste of trying to find info on this i totally forgot to include latin name its Phormictopus altrichromatus and yes i flipped her and no fangs,,does anyone now any kind of mortality rate for this?

Arlius

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If its of a size to be able to handle, you could use an eye dropper to try and drip cricket slurry in its mouth.

Kizzywhizzy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you can get it to eat and keep it alive till its molt it can grow new ones

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree with what was said about the cricket soup. Please keep us updated, this post will prolly help someone in the future.

I hope he/she survives.:)

-Matty

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Try feeding her silk or wax worms, they are very soft and the spider may be able to eat those, that may keep her healthy and strong enough till she molts again..

Regards, Mike :rolleyes:

spideromaniac

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Gess or experiences??

I have this problem happening to me a few times over the years, here is what I learned from it.
If you wish to keep it alive do not try to force feed her cricket soup.
Leave her alone she will need all of her energy to make it to next molt.
Raise the heat of her vivarium up a few degree to speed up her metabolism.
I lost many T's over the years, but never due to starvation.

Cheers
Spidero

Mysterious, Fascinating And Beautiful Little Arachnid, Forever Misunderstood And Misjudged.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Was she fed a lot of mice in your care?

Just curious.

Bluesling

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
no

no just got her a coupls days ago,,,,,,,not sure what her previous diet was or molt record:-(

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
If it will take a cricket/silk worm off of tongs that is the route I'd take..

I think the soup is WAY over kill

Reasons:
- it's not the fangs that "chew" up the food but sections of the chelicerea
- your T is still capable of secreting the digestive juices
- your T is STILL capable of movement and "attacking its dinner as it normally would.

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree with Mike and Nerri. Try feeding silkworms. They are very soft, and fatten up a spider in no time.

What temperature are you keeping her/him in? Perhaps raising the temps to around 80 is a good idea to possibly speed up the process for her to molt quicker and regenerate the missing fangs. Make sure fresh water is present at all times though.

Is she missing both of them, just one, is there anything like stubbles or nothing at all?

In any case, best of luck to your new addition. I hope all goes well. :)

---
Wendy
---

Bluesling

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ummm looks like nothing at all no fangs

theres no knubs or anything i will try silkies

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Post back please , wondering if she takes the silk worms...

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mike H. said:
Post back please , wondering if she takes the silk worms...

I agree, I would like to hear an update, i'm very curious.

-Matty

Niloticus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Bluesling said:
sorry in the haste of trying to find info on this i totally forgot to include latin name its Phormictopus altrichromatus and yes i flipped her and no fangs,,does anyone now any kind of mortality rate for this?
It certainly makes things very difficult when a tarantula loses it's fangs. I have had one Blondi die because it absolutely could not eat. Like someone else said, try to raise the temperature inside the enclosure so that it will speed up the spiders metabolism and make it molt sooner. I've currently got another Blondi that I am working with that also doesn't have fangs. Things don't look very promising with it either - I just hope it can molt soon.

Niloticus

TheNatural

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bluesling said:
my "red island birdeater" has no fange,,,thats why she so skinny,i put a fuzzy in there she hit it hard and ferious,but np penitration,,,is there any thing i can do?like crush crickets and fed off of tonges?or do i have to just wait it out?
Hi bluesling, I have some questions:
- What size is it?
- Is it a male or female?
- Does it show any signs of molting comming?
- Is it possible to have a pic of it? Just to see how skinny is it.

Gui

DaleGribble

Arachnopeon
At 3" my H. gigas went 3 or 4 months without fangs (which I discovered after it molted, although I thought somwething was amiss) and barely ate for those few months, but she molted and fully regrew her fangs.