That was awesome!

N.W.A.

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just watched my Hottentota sting a termite (it's just a baby) to eat it and then drag it away in it's mouth to it's hiding spot. It was AWESOME!:drool: ;P {D

Scolopendra55

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What species of Hottentota is it? It sure is fun to watch scorps eat!

BaronFel181

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Awesome man. I've got juv Hottentotta too (franzwerneri and trilineatus). They're about an inch long, full of attitude and eat like pigs. Watching the little ones eat is a blast. Good luck.

webracer17g

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
BaronFel181 said:
Awesome man. I've got juv Hottentotta too (franzwerneri and trilineatus). They're about an inch long, full of attitude and eat like pigs. Watching the little ones eat is a blast. Good luck.
Now thats funny. All three of my Emps are full of attitude. I thought that this wasnt typical. Could it possibly be from improper treatment from the places where I got them from?

andrew

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Andrew-

No. I've probably had at least 300+ emperors (including, my own cb guys and gals) and the fact is that the "docility" typically noted for this species in the popular literature is a misleading generalization based on the majority of specimens and does not reflect the actual broad-range of temperaments exhibited by all emperors.
Emperors, like other scorpion species, exhibit a broad-range of behaviorisms and while many have the stereotypical inoffensiveness commonly ascribed to this species, others may be quite the opposite.
Over the years, I've probably suffered dozens of stings and twice that amount in claw attacks. Typically, such attacks are delivered by the younger, more easily exciteable males (primarily, stinging attacks) but I've had my share from younger and older fems and older males as well.
An emperor's tolerance can even vary by stadium - a high-strung, intolerant juvenile may become a very tolerant, "docile" sub-adult and vice versa.
Not all emperors view handling on the same level. I have many that are so used to being handled that they will not become defensive under most circumstances. I also have a few that have attitudes akin to their smaller cousins, P. cavimanus, and will rarely miss an opportunity to put the claw to ya! Several of the males I've had in captivity for 2-5 years will still on occasion, sting without provocation.
However, as with most scorps, interaction and handling may decrease defensive reactions, stings and pinches DO still occur.
Overall, a better statement regarding emperors and their nature would be: Emperors are one of the more tolerant scorpion species available to enthusiasts.
Lastly, in my personal experience, the most inoffensive scorps are Iomachus politus and Cheloctonus jonesii. Io's are probably the most tolerant scorpion species you can find in the pet-trade.

Take care,
Luc

webracer17g

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks a lot Luc. Now I know that handling is not recomended for a lot of species and im still a little skiddish about even thinking about trying to pick them up. i do know that i do have a semi-severe reaction to bee stings (as in the last time i was stung, my entire right arm swelled up from a sting on the underside of my forearm right along the vessel/nerve channel in my arm. so understandibly, if an emperors sting is similar to that of a bee, im going to be a bit apprehensive. but say i do get the courage to start to "break them in." how do i go about that in a way that will stress them the least and to minimize stings? pinches im not as worried about, yeah i know they will hurt, but they wont seriously injure me. any help is welcome.

thanks,
andrew

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
emp stings are most often compared to bee stings because many ppl have been stung by bees.

the comparison is to the level of pain, not the chemical/physiological reactions people have :)

scorp venom is very different from bee venom.

i'm allergic to all kinds of things (had shots for years) but scorp venom does almost nothing to me (not that i'm getting stung by Leirus or Androctonus or anything... but i've never had a sting hurt and i doubt they were all dry at this point)

webracer17g said:
Thanks a lot Luc. Now I know that handling is not recomended for a lot of species and im still a little skiddish about even thinking about trying to pick them up. i do know that i do have a semi-severe reaction to bee stings (as in the last time i was stung, my entire right arm swelled up from a sting on the underside of my forearm right along the vessel/nerve channel in my arm. so understandibly, if an emperors sting is similar to that of a bee, im going to be a bit apprehensive. but say i do get the courage to start to "break them in." how do i go about that in a way that will stress them the least and to minimize stings? pinches im not as worried about, yeah i know they will hurt, but they wont seriously injure me. any help is welcome.

thanks,
andrew

BaronFel181

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The best way to pick up a scorp in my opinion is to simply get it to walk on your hand. Just put you're hand on the substrate and then give the scorp a little nudge. Another good way to go if the scorp isn't too honory is to just scoop it up from the side. Some people like to grab them by the tail, but some scorps will twist around and pinch you. Even some of my emps do that. Hope this helps.

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Andrew-

I'm not aware of any research suggestive of cross-sensitivity in relation to Hymenopteran venom and that of scorpions. Due to differences in the chemical composition of venom, I'm a bit skeptical of the possibility that cross-sensitivity would exist between the venom of say, Apis mellifera and Pandinus imperator. Of course, this is assuming you're reaction was to the venom of a bee and not another type of hymenopteran (e.g. vespid, sphecid, etc.).
However, I'm no expert on venoms and while I remain skeptical of cross-sensitivity, it may be possible in some instances? So, if you feel uncomfortable at the thought of handling a scorp - don't!
And trust me, while it is a catch phrase that it's like a bee sting, don't bet on it. Most scorp stings are inconsequential and are not at all as painful as the stings of many hymenopterans - get tagged by an emperor and a baldfaced hornet and you'll develop a deeper respect for the stinging ability of vespids! As for the emperor, the sting's not too bad and the worse part is in the knowledge that you've actually been stung. I've also suffered more than a few stings from C. exilicauda, B. martensii, B. jacksoni, B. arenicola, and several other species of scorps and the worse (for me) has been that of C. vittatus and let me tell you, to date, i've not been stung by any scorpion that can match the pain of a C. vittatus sting! I'm 6'1" and weigh in at 221 lbs. and the venom of C. vittatus is like liquid fire running through your hand/arm and I almost screamed like a little girl! LOL

Take care,
Luc

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Baron-

I agree. Actually, I just used the "walk into the hand" technique to transfer a male and female H. spadix to a 20 gallon long breeding enclosure. In my opinion, this is by far the best way to handle scorps.

Luc

webracer17g

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
so would recomend having an epipen around just in case or would that do nothing for a scorp sting? with the "wal into the hand" method, would that put yourself in a situation to get stung? or would they simply walk on to your hand without consequence?

andrew

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
webracer17g said:
so would recomend having an epipen around just in case or would that do nothing for a scorp sting? with the "wal into the hand" method, would that put yourself in a situation to get stung? or would they simply walk on to your hand without consequence?

andrew
it's important that when you put your hand down you do it a goodly distance away from the scorp

i've had scorps seem to react to the "bump" of my hand touching down near them.

if i understand correctly epipens contain a shot of epinephrine, a chemical (i want to say hormone but i'm not postive) that causes your body to react similar to adrenalin.

i get epinephrine when i go to the hospital/emergency room for asthma/allergy stuff completely unrelated to any sort of venom.

long story short if you were having an ALLERGIC reaction the epipen should help you... but i don't think it will do much against the actual effects of the venom.. just an allergic reaction
i could totally be wrong though.. not a M.D.

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Andrew-

I'll reserve comments regarding the epipen.

As for the "walk into your hand" method of handling and its risks - ANYTIME you physically interact with your scorpion, you're placing yourself at a potential risk for a pinch or sting and the scorpion at risk from a potential fall. This is not to imply that it will definitely happen but it could?

Luc

N.W.A.

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, an update. To answer one q, no, I don't have pics. Might be able to get some over the weekend though. I am currently watching my brand new (YAY!) Emperor eating and it ROCKS! GO SCORPS!