Anyone know any good collecting locations in South Carolina?

USMuscle9403

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey folks, haven't posted in a while.

I was just wondering if anyone knew any regional data for scorpions in South Carolina? As far as I know, the only indigenous species is Vaejovis carolinianus but I have a very hard time locating information concerning the full range of this species. I live in Orangeburg, which is approximately 45 minutes away from Columbia...which (Columbia) happens to be about the center of the state. Ideally, I'd like an area as close to me as possible. I've heard of them being in the upstate and as far south as Charleston (an hour and a half south of me) but I can't be sure that they're found in and around Orangeburg or not and I don't really want to waste my time on looking for something that isn't going to be there.

Thanks for the info,
Allen

Last edited:

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Gosh!

A field forum would be excellent for threads like this, hey?

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
people who Know, tend not to want to disclose locales as it leads to "overharvesting"....But then again I bet pesticides kill alot of scorpions too. Or early frosts or or or....Show me one true study where pet trade collecting has had a Significant impact on a T or even scorp species..A long term impact would pique my interest more.....
Then again collecting ONE animal has a significant impact for that square meter....

T

USMuscle9403

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
tony said:
people who Know, tend not to want to disclose locales as it leads to "overharvesting"....But then again I bet pesticides kill alot of scorpions too. Or early frosts or or or....Show me one true study where pet trade collecting has had a Significant impact on a T or even scorp species..A long term impact would pique my interest more.....
Then again collecting ONE animal has a significant impact for that square meter....

T
That's understandable, but apparently this is a very common species where it does inhabit and I won't take more than one or two examples. I might not even take any, as there's no greater feeling for a hobbyist than finding a species they love in the wild.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Besides, giving locales is different from regional pointers.

And true, most just get off on the thrill of seeing one - this is not a common activity for stamp collectors. Easier for them just to place an on-line order and run to Wal-mart for another jar. ;)

yuanti

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm not sure what species this was but a few years ago my parents, who live in Mt. Pleasant, SC right on a marsh near the Wando River had 3 small light yellowish-tan scorps in their home. That is the only time I've seen any scorpions in South Carolina. I currently live in Summerville...just outside of Charleston.

For a while there we thought they came with me when I came back from the Middle East, which was just a few months before we saw these in the house.

USMuscle9403

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yuanti said:
I'm not sure what species this was but a few years ago my parents, who live in Mt. Pleasant, SC right on a marsh near the Wando River had 3 small light yellowish-tan scorps in their home. That is the only time I've seen any scorpions in South Carolina. I currently live in Summerville...just outside of Charleston.

For a while there we thought they came with me when I came back from the Middle East, which was just a few months before we saw these in the house.
That's interesting, and it sounds as though you may be in fact describing Centruroides hentzi, possibly vittatus. They are not a 'native' species per se, more of a feral species that sometimes shows up in shipments of mesquite wood from Texas. Were they striped at all? About how big were they? I know that the younger carolinianus can be a lighter brown than the adults, but I'm not too sure about a yellowish-tan. Then again your assumption may be correct, if they were indeed a small, non-descript straw colored scorp that showed up after you returned from the middle east I have two words for you...WATCH and OUT!

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
USMuscle9403 said:
.....I don't really want to waste my time on looking for something that isn't going to be there.
Sorry I don't have any advice on where to find scorps in your area but just wanted to comment on what you said about wasting time. I just started hunting scorps around here (Kansas) this year and I'll tell you that even when going to a new area not knowing whether there are any scorps to be found it's never a waste of time. There are so many other "bugs", herps, birds, etc. to see. I'd love to be back out in N. Carolina to look around again. Last time I was there I saw my first hot snake (Cottonmouth) while fishing. So, basically I'm saying you should get out and look around. It'll probably be a good time.

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
USMuscle-

Yeah, don't feel too bad as getting locality data from people is near impossible.
Been trying for a bit over 2 years to get some local locality data for D. diablo and D. whitei outside of the National Park system and to date - nada!
So, I've decided to just hit the trail this early summer and head to the Big Bend Region and explore for myself. Regardless of what's found or not, beats the hell outta sittin' 'round the house!

Luc

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm going to be collecting specimens from Boone, Iowa over the summer. Hopefully I'll have a digital camera by then, so I will be posting pics.

I'll be working on breeding Arilus cristatus in captivity. I'll keep everyone posted on the research.

Not exactly south Carolina, but still of interest. Most of the time, national parks will have big stands of woods just outside of them. Just know your boundaries. Fortunately people won't care about bugs 90% of the time, unless it's a super rare species.

Look for big stands of woods near where you live and walk about a mile inside. Most people don't venture this far into the woods, and chances are these areas haven't ever seen humans with the exception of duck/deer hunters. That's what I do and I've seen some pretty interesting specemens in my neck of the woods.

yuanti

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
USMuscle9403 said:
That's interesting, and it sounds as though you may be in fact describing Centruroides hentzi, possibly vittatus. They are not a 'native' species per se, more of a feral species that sometimes shows up in shipments of mesquite wood from Texas. Were they striped at all? About how big were they? I know that the younger carolinianus can be a lighter brown than the adults, but I'm not too sure about a yellowish-tan. Then again your assumption may be correct, if they were indeed a small, non-descript straw colored scorp that showed up after you returned from the middle east I have two words for you...WATCH and OUT!

I thought it odd that they just happen to appear after my trip. Never seen any before that. They were very small, each one was about 1 inch in length maybe? I dont recall any strips on them...just a single, like you said sorta non-descript straw like color. After my parents found those three in the house they had an exterminator take care of things just in case. Maybe they did come from my trip. I did mail back some boxes to the house using the post.

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it really seems to depend on who you ask. Very often collectors/dealers with WC animals won't tell you where a specific species came from. Trying here is a good idea, as I found enthusiasts a bit more forgiving. That being said, I have GPS locations for scorpions I've found, and have posted here before. Unfortunately only for locations in WA, OR, CA, and AZ.

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi Isaac,

I'm not too worried as heading out and explorin' a bit of Texas sounds exciting considering there's rattlesnakes and scorpions about - it'll be like walking through paradise! Thanks!
The primary problem I was having is that everyone I've communicated with stated that D. diablo and D. whitei can only be found within National Park land. I'm not buying that considering that both species range into Mexico! So, I have a few free weeks this summer to explore 'round Tejas and even ig I don't find anything, it'll be a welcome break from the Motor City! LOL

Luc

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd love to get out and to the same. I know the Diplo's range into mexico, infact, iirc, MOST of their range is in mexico, with only a bit of it coming into Texas

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Isaac-

Yep. Texas, AZ & NM = northern limits of range of the genus Diplocentrus. I have 4 of the 5 U.S. species and hope to acquire a few more lindo and whitei and add diablo this year. So, as I only get 3 weeks off from work in the summer (1 week in the winter), I figure road trip! I'll bust ass down to Texas for Diplocentrus spp.; swing over to Cali for a few more A. p. pococki, A. p. bajae and A. phaiodactylus then, head over into Nevada for a few more A. phaiodactylus and hopefully, H. spadix and back to Detroit! Collecting the Anuroctonus in Cali should not be a problem as Stan Williams and Mike Soleglad gave me some great data on locales. Anyway, even if I don't find any Diplos, it beats sitting at home! LOL

Luc

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Isaac,

The genus Diplocentrus has its highest species diversity in Mexico. Also, in a recent communication with Oscar Francke, he informed me that a few new species are being described! Currently, there's 41 species assigned to the genus and I think we'll eventually see it surpass 50 until a generic revision is pursued and a few synonymies made official. I'll tell you what, I wouldn't mind spending a few months in Mexico just hunting down diplocentrids and checking out rattlers!

Luc

redhourglass

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi.

I for one don't know any good collecting locations in South Carolina but maybe drive south and with any great fortune you may or may not find populations of V.c. mostly into Georgia during spring/summer.

Regarding Diplocentrus whitei and lindo outside of the range of Big Bend National Park would be a PM or email.

Best Regards.

Sinc. Chad

P.S. Luc, regarding Oscar in Mexico. It was a blast in the field collecting with him et.al...

webracer17g

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
oh oh oh pick me! i (sarcasticly) might be able to fit in your suitcase...

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Chad-

Regarding collecting with Oscar in Mexico - a great honor indeed. I wouldn't mind sitting down with him and picking through his knowledge of Diplocentrus over some lunch!
I'll just be glad when some of the Diplocentrus research going on in Mexico makes publication. Would be nice to finally see some Natural history and ecological data on the genus and not just systematic works.
Off to the grind in a few minutes but, I'll email you when I get home this evening.

Take care,
Luc