Dynastes tityus. Hercules Beetle Grubs

NoS

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I received these grubs from Wade a while back when I also ordered his T T-shirts. They have been doing well and I finally got around to cropping and hosting some pics I took.
Enjoy...

Click on pics for extremely large pics

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You are lucky, very lucky... they are great.
In Poland it is still very difficult to get large Scarabaeoidea species... and they are too expensive for me :mad:

Ecilious

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
In the interests of science I double dare you to let one bite you.

j/k. Awesome little guys even more beautiful as adults (which I know only from pictures sadly).

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
I got a couple of grubs from Wade last year. They became beetles....VERY pretty too. I picked up the male and set it on my hand and it instantly GRABBED hold of my finger with its spines on the legs and clenched! OW!!! OW OW OW OW!!! I couldnt get it to let go!! it was horrible! :D I even put my hand down in the cage so it would walk off...but no! it prefered to sit on my hand digging those spines into my finger!

Oh and becareful when you pick up the adult beetles :D

Michelle

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
How much are those?

I'm interested in raising some, but I think I'll try rearing native (to Iowa) species of beetles first.

We have some pretty nice stag beetles I think I'll try before moving on to rhino beetles.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Scolopendra55 said:
Actually Evil Cheshire rhinos are much easier to raise than stags.
Yeah, but I'd feel bad if a grub that I paid near $50 for up and died on me. With the stags, at least they're free. You know?

heyjeyniceid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Evil Cheshire said:
Yeah, but I'd feel bad if a grub that I paid near $50 for up and died on me. With the stags, at least they're free. You know?
"The Complete Guide to Rearing the Elephant Stag Beetle and Other Stags" by O. McMonigle

Read this book? You will be spending LOTS and LOTS of time in the field trying to collect enough to call the effort of finding them free as you have implied.

Last edited:

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Evil Cheshire said:
More importantly, raising stags to learn how to raise rhinos is like learning the violin to play the piano -- some crossover but not enough to save much time. D.tityus grubs are pretty hardy and pretty inexpensive too (and native to 2/3rds of the US), they're usually around $15 though I've seen them for less.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
In that case, where do I get some (PM me the answer to this one, please)?

The only place I've ever seen them they were $95 for an adult pair.

Scolopendra55

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I actually got 20 L3 D.granti grubs for free from a friend and breeder (guess I was lucky :D )