Rat and Garter snakes

Jfrazier614

Arachnopeon
I know I am posting this in the wrong place, but does anyone have an overabundance of rat and garter snakes that they could send me for the price of shipping, possibly a small fee. I love snakes, and have kept them pretty much all of my life , but I live in Ohio, and it is cold here, and there are just no good places to go herping around here.I can provide them great homes, but just can't find garter snakes around here anymore, and rat snakes are not native to my part of ohio, if native to ohio at all. I would greatly appreciate it. Could wait until spring if needed.

Sm0k3d

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Garter snakes are actually a harder species of snake to take care of because of there diet. They require many different things to feed on to stay healthy like fish, worms, etc.. I would reccomend getting an easier snake to care for. A corn snake is a great starter aswell as a ball python, you'll have to have a cage for them w/ the appropiate caging and heating/lighting.

Jfrazier614

Arachnopeon
I have kept garter snakes all my life...well not all my life, but since I was 5...I have also had corn snakes, and in my experience, garter snakes are easier to take care of. Feeding garter snakes is also easier, I have never had a garter snake regurgitate in any of thier feeding. Garter snakes are much more interesting in my experiences as well.

PrettyHate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Have you tried looking for a ribbon snake? Much the same look as a garter, as well as care, diet. etc.

Jfrazier614

Arachnopeon
I had a ribbon snake before...it just didn't work for me. I just guess it couldn't replace my love for garter snakes.

PrettyHate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I dont blame you. I have a ribbon snake who is a complete B*tch. Good thing for her she is darn cute and fun to watch!

Empi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I can get all kinds of garter snakes in the summer time but not this time of year. I can get pretty much any color morph too. I found a albino and a melanistic snake a few years back. They are fun snakes to keep. Food for them is cheap. It is fun to watch them catch goldfish too. The best part is you can keep a few of them in one tank and they love to hang out with eachother. I like them better than corns and they are easier to take care of.

Empi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I can do that for you if your not in a hurry to get them. Like I said I have to wait till it get's warm again. Do you want male and female? They breed very easily and have live young which is a trip to watch.

Jfrazier614 said:
Could you get me 2 for the price of shipping, or a small price??

Thanks.

ingas866

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I will try to help out. I live in Oklahoma right by a lake. I have some friends that have farms and they will let me take some from there areas. I have been theaching them about how good they are around the grain house some they let me take them from around the houses they live in and move they bake out to the grain houses. I hope to find you some good one this summer.

Jfrazier614

Arachnopeon
Yes

A male and a female would be great...possibly very young, so I can get them used to captive life at an early age??

MRL

Arachnolord
Old Timer
my first reptile was a Garter snake, I was around 9-10.. had it for a while then it escaped!! needless to say we found it again 6 months later slithering away!

Jfrazier614

Arachnopeon
Thanks

Thanks for all your help...I used to keep garter snakes all the time when I was a kid. My favorite snake of all time. Very hardy snakes also. They were always so friendly too. I read up more about them, and seems that thier diet has to be very diverse...didn't know that back then, but as a kid, I fed them everything I could catch...So I did a good job with care without even knowing. A garter snake named Damien was also my first pet. He was great, but I had to keep them outside back then, so in a storm he got away. I miss that snake...I had him 3 years before he got away.