Question about soaking Eco Earth Blocks

Ennoozunu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I bought an Eco Earth (Coconut fiber) block and soaked it in water out of the tap.

I heard chlorine can kill tarantulas.

Will putting a tarantula in this substrate hurt it?

I don't mist because i heard Chilians don't need it and it merly makes them mad. I also only use bottled water for her water dish.

Thanks for your help.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I doubt your tap water has enough chlorine to be harmful to your tarantulas. After all, you are drinking it too. I have been using tap water for my tarantulas for years without any problems.

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
Also after a day or less all the chlorine would have gone into the atmosphere so it would be of no risk.

Ennoozunu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thats good to hear cuz its was a lot of work to get it all soaked.

I got told that if I used the whole block it would fill my 10 gallon to the top(The person wasn't totally sure. So I knew it might not). So I cut 25% of the block off (which was a feat in itself. Man that block is hard!) only to find after soaking it wasn't near enough so I did a bit more. Then that wasn't enough so I just put the whole block in.

Turns out The whole block was enough. So a full block only fills a 10 Gallon tank 4". Not a whole 10 Gallon tank. Good to know for next time. :)

Thanks for your help.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Windchaser said:
I doubt your tap water has enough chlorine to be harmful to your tarantulas. After all, you are drinking it too. I have been using tap water for my tarantulas for years without any problems.

Took the words right out of my mouth :)

-Matty

fleshstain

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i pretty much only use tap water with no ill effects....if you're worried about chlorine buy a purifier....

psionix

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
fleshstain said:
if you're worried about chlorine buy a purifier....
... or let it sit out uncovered to de-chlorinate for a few days. :)

finman31

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well depending on where you are at,even if you let eit sit and the chlorine evaporate,alot of municiple water supplies have chloramines,which is a clorine molecule and ammonia molecule bonded together, and chloramines have a much more stable half life and wont evaporate,and even when the chlorine molecule does pull away,your left with the ammonia.But I would not sweat any of it.

Becky Wheeler

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Also, Make sure the Subtrate is dry before putting your Rosie in it as they hate damp subtrate!, I used Eco-Earth and it took days to dry out.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Becky Wheeler said:
Also, Make sure the Subtrate is dry before putting your Rosie in it as they hate damp subtrate!, I used Eco-Earth and it took days to dry out.
Oh yeah, when i first got into Ts, my first one was a rosie and i put damp peat moss in there and he stayed on his hide til it dried.

I don't use eco-earth (cause i can't find it anywhere around here) but i heard it works good. I use 100% peat moss cause i can buy a huge bag of it for under $10.00. It takes awhile for peat too dry as well IME.

-Matty

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You could also add aquarium water conditioner/dechlorinator to the water before soaking. Available at any pet store.

Bill

agentbsmithi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
haha i had this same problem. it took me forever to cut that brick in half but i did. what happened with me was i soaked the brick for the designated half hour or however long it says to do it, and it was still hard as a rock, but very damp, so i sliced it in half and put it into two containers and let it set for an hour or two. that did it, but then it takes forever to dry out. my seemani likes it though.

also, i have a 5.5 gallon tank and it only filled that up about 4". you must have bought the bigger brick, or it dried and expanded more than mine or something.

Joe1968

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yup those bricks are very hard, before I use a hack saw just to cut them, now i just soak the whole brick and store the unused portion. I also just use tap water they seem to be fine with it.

jojobear

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I use a water filter for the water and I usually buy the three pack and put all three in a rubbermaid container with 2 gallons of water, put the lid on it, and let it expand overnight. This way it is already in a storage container and by only using 2 gallons of water it is a little drier. Ther are plenty of places online to buy Eco-Earth the prices are resonable (about $4 for the three pak) but the shipping is usually $6 or $7. So buy extras.

agentbsmithi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
santee petco, if anyone lives in east/san diego county, sells em for about 2 or 3 bucks a brick i believe.

Rogers

Arachnopeon
I use the condesed bricks as well for Rosie... she didn't like it when I first put the moist substrate in, but after a day or two under a warm lamp it is bone dry.

I think it's been a great substrate and it's pretty cheap. No complaints from the spider anyway.