Thought I'd Introduce myself

Ennoozunu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thought I'd Introduce myself & tarantula

Just thought I'd introduce myself.

My real name is Kyle and i just got into the tarantula scene.

I just came into the Tarantula scene but have been reading a ton on tarantulas and the different kinds/caging/food/sex etc. (focused a lot of Chilian Rose tarantulas but read up on others as well).

Ellie my female Chilian rose is my first ever tarantula and I'm very pleased with her. I just finished putting her in a 10 Gallon tank with a water dish,log to hide in (thats pointed into the 3-4" of Eco Earth incase she wants to burrow tho I heard its rare for Chilians to do so) and a wood piece that is connect to a rock slab(rock slab is under the substrate of corse) for her to climb on if she wishes (also it makes the cage look alittle less empty). She surprisingly so far loves climbing on the wood piece. I also have a red LED light setup for nighttime watching(the LED suction type setup was made for an aquarium but it works great for tarantulas as well) . The LED setup is made by Marina.

For substrate I've used Eco-Earth (Coconut Fibre). I've try a few other substrates while she was in the other critter catcher but Eco-Earth seems to be the best. Before Eco-Earth I had the wood chips that came with her and potting soil mixed with peat moss.

Also I found a really good reptile type top for the glass tank. Its made by Eco-Terra and its called a metal terrarium cover(It was recommended by person I know that has tarantulas as well). Its not like a screen type cover where tarantulas can get their feet caught its more like bars on a metal mice cage or something. Its great. It has Good air flow, clamps on the tank really tight, has a door that I can open to get easy access and no worrying about the tarantula getting stuck on it.

I bet its a big change for her from that really small critter catcher that they had her in with wood chips(hey atleast they had a water wish instead of a spunge and a plant for cover. Thats better then most.).

Shes About 3" to 4" so I think shes almost at maturity. Hasn't molted yet. Altho I've only had her for a few weeks.

I love her and hope she will be with me for some time :)

Shes very fun and fascinating to watch and seems to be fairly active at night.

I've lurked for a bit today gathering info and for more info I have a Tarantula book that i bought before I bought the tarantula(as well I've searched the web using google gathering even more info. Which is how I found this board).

Nice to meet you all and look foward to getting to know everyone.

~Ennoozunu

Last edited:

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
Let me be the first to welcome you to the sweet addiction of t ownership (odds are strong you will have 2 or 3 more in a couple of months.)

10 gallon tank is fine but you might find a little on the big side for your rosie (most t's can be kept in 5.5 gallon tank or something of similiar size)

Becareful about your ts climbing make sure that if she falls its not from any great height (falls of only a few inches can have the potential of killing your, the larger the t the greater the risk btw your rosie can get up to six inches in leg span). Most people will have a higher substrate depth to reduce headspace so if a t climbs and falls it won't injury itself.

Again welcome and if you ever have questions we're happy to help out a newbie.

Ennoozunu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the welcome.

I took a pic earlier with my camera phone thought i'd post it.

I put the substrate farily high(as high as one block of Eco-Earth would get me). She has been on the ceiling once but she went across it fine.

Is there anything I can do really to help her from falling(other then raising the substrate)?

Shes not really to much of a ceiling climber. I only see her climb the ceiling when I put her in new cages(and she only does it once. Almost like to get the feel for the area shes in.).

Attachments

Last edited:

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A ten gallon enclosure is a little on the large side but she will be OK. I typically would use a 5 gallon tank for a tarantula the size of a G. rosea. I would also recommend that you raise the level of the substrate. She has quite a bit of height in there. A good rule of thumb for terrestrial tarantulas is to limit the height of their enclosure to basically their leg span. This greatly reduces the risk of injury due to falls.

BTW, welcome aboard.

Ennoozunu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Windchaser said:
A ten gallon enclosure is a little on the large side but she will be OK. I typically would use a 5 gallon tank for a tarantula the size of a G. rosea. I would also recommend that you raise the level of the substrate. She has quite a bit of height in there. A good rule of thumb for terrestrial tarantulas is to limit the height of their enclosure to basically their leg span. This greatly reduces the risk of injury due to falls.

BTW, welcome aboard.

I'll pick-up some more Eco-Earth and add a few more inches ASAP.

Really other then raising the substrate if a tarantula falls the wrong way theres nothing you can do correct?

Thanks for the welcome and suggestions. :)

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ennoozunu said:
I'll pick-up some more Eco-Earth and add a few more inches ASAP.

Really other then raising the substrate if a tarantula falls the wrong way theres nothing you can do correct?

Thanks for the welcome and suggestions. :)
There are a couple of things that you can do to help minimize the risk of injury from a fall. First, don't overfeed your tarantula. A fat tarantula is more susceptible to splitting its abdomen. Also, it is harder for an overweight tarantula to climb and it increases the chances for a fall. Your G. rosea will do fine with 6 to 8 crickets a month.

Secondly, be reducing the height of the enclosure to basically equal to the leg span of the tarantula, the chance of a fall is much less likely since the tarantula will be able to actually touch the substrate and the lid at the same time. This means that it won't be suspended if caught on the lid. In addition, falls from a lower height are less likely to result in an injury.

If you ever do encounter an injury due to a fall, you can use super glue or nail hardener to seal the wound. The hemolymph (effectively tarantula blood) is not able to clot. Therefore, a ruptured abdomen is a serious injury.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hello, welcome to the boards.

I don't think that lid is going to provide enough ventilation.

I'd add maybe 2" or 3" of substrate.

-Matty

FOX

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Welcome to our world.
I started off 4 months ago with 1 chilli rose:)

Now i have 14 of them:D

Welcome to the addiction{D
Jay

Ennoozunu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mattyb said:
Hello, welcome to the boards.

I don't think that lid is going to provide enough ventilation.

I'd add maybe 2" or 3" of substrate.

-Matty
You don't get the right impression from that picture.

Its not a sealed surface like it looks. The whole top is open to air flow.

heres a pic I just took now with my phone that gives a better view.

Also you can see my newly added red LED light setup.

See what I mean :)

Thanks for the welcome and suggestions.

Last edited:

cloud711

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
welcome to the hobby. btw the setup and the terrarium is very nice. :)

GootySapphire

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Welcome friend!

Hope you find this site to be nothing less than helpful for you. Rose hair very nice. Mine isnt much of a mover or anything but she's awesome in her own ways. I am warning you tarantula keeping is on the same addiction as cigarettes and tattoos. Once you get one you're bound for life!!!

agentbsmithi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the pictures wont load up for me, so i dont know how your terrarium looks, but if your t climbs you could also make sure theres nothing hard or sharp it would fall on. my seemani climbs all the time, so i had to cover his log with a bunch of moss and bed a beast so he didnt crack his abdomen on it.

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
Welcome..

I predict a dozen by the end of the year..

especially if you find out about the online dealers who give AB members a discount !!

rwfoss

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Another "Welcome" to the boards! Great pics. Takes me down memory lane...all the way back to July of this year! Did a lot of reading, which led to our first T (also a rosie), and now we have 23.

Good luck with your little girl...rosies are great!

Rick

tarangela2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ennoozunu said:
Ellie my female Chilian rose is my first ever tarantula and I'm very pleased with her. I just finished putting her in a 10 Gallon tank with a water dish,log to hide in (thats pointed into the 3-4" of Eco Earth incase she wants to burrow tho I heard its rare for Chilians to do so)

~Ennoozunu
my chilean rose has burrowed in her cocoa nut shell 'hut', sealed up the door and i haven't seen her for two days! so anything is possible with Ts. i suspect a molt is coming.

welcome to the boards! i have found them to be an invaluable tool, i have learned more about Ts in two months than i have since i first was interested in Ts about 15 years ago!

Last edited: