Humidity Question For Several T's

GootySapphire

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hey compadres!

I have some new T's that I bought into my collection not too long ago, I have tried to research general humidity for each one, but every source I have found has fluctuated from site to site. So if someone could help me out Id be very thankful. Here is the list of new ones:

Mexican Redknee
Mexican Flameknee
Mexican Redleg
Stoutleg Baboon
Usambar Baboon
T. Blondi
Indian Violet

I think thats it. Ive bought so many in the last couple weeks I keep forgetting which ones I've bought. My collection is up to 23 now! :D:D {D :p

Mr Ed

Arachnobaron
not sure about the indian violet, but the they all like it dry w/ water dish minus the T. blondi who likes it's humidity around 65%-75%. You'll get lots of arguments there too. With my Blondi I give her a large water dish, mist a few times a week and she does fine.

GootySapphire

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Mr Ed said:
not sure about the indian violet, but the they all like it dry w/ water dish minus the T. blondi who likes it's humidity around 65%-75%. You'll get lots of arguments there too. With my Blondi I give her a large water dish, mist a few times a week and she does fine.

I have heard they have a hard time molting and so you have to like up the humidity like crazy, is this true?

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
GootySapphire said:
I have heard they have a hard time molting and so you have to like up the humidity like crazy, is this true?
No. It's all lies. All of the, like, posts (which can be found by, like, searching) about T. blondi, like, needing more attention to detail regarding humidity are, like, all part of a huge conspiracy concocted by bottled water suppliers to get you to, like, shell out more hard earned dollars. Throw your blondi on a couple inches of dry dirt and make sure you run a dehumidifier in the room. It'll do just fine. :rolleyes:

Or, you could take the time to look up any one of the numerous threads on T. blondi. I've never kept one but from what I've gathered yes, they do require more humidity than the average tarantula. How you supply that humidity is up to you. Some people keep T. blondi on dry substrate with a big water dish. The evaporation of the water in the dish is what keeps the humidity elevated. Or, you could keep the substrate damp along with the big water dish (this would be my choice but as I said, I've never kept a T. blondi). Once again, it's evaporation that keeps the humidity up. To me the level of care required isn't worth it.

Good luck with the blondi. I still recommend a search. You'll find a lot more info from people who are less sarcastic and more experienced.

fleshstain

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
for the indian violet keep a full water dish and you want to try and keep the substrate from totally drying out but not highly saturated....mine seems content with that setup....

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't really worry about humidity, i use bone dry substrate and make sure my water dishes are topped off at all times. terrestrial species that make deep burrows and aboreal species that make tube webs use there silk to hold in humidity.

-Matty

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
David_F said:
Or, you could take the time to look up any one of the numerous threads on T. blondi. I've never kept one but from what I've gathered yes, they do require more humidity than the average tarantula. How you supply that humidity is up to you. Some people keep T. blondi on dry substrate with a big water dish. The evaporation of the water in the dish is what keeps the humidity elevated. Or, you could keep the substrate damp along with the big water dish (this would be my choice but as I said, I've never kept a T. blondi). Once again, it's evaporation that keeps the humidity up. To me the level of care required isn't worth it.

Good luck with the blondi. I still recommend a search. You'll find a lot more info from people who are less sarcastic and more experienced.
I concur wholeheartedly with David ;)

GootySapphire

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Mr Ed said:

Gracias for being polite.

GootySapphire

Arachnolord
Old Timer
fleshstain said:
for the indian violet keep a full water dish and you want to try and keep the substrate from totally drying out but not highly saturated....mine seems content with that setup....

gracias!!!

GootySapphire

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Mattyb said:
I don't really worry about humidity, i use bone dry substrate and make sure my water dishes are topped off at all times. terrestrial species that make deep burrows and aboreal species that make tube webs use there silk to hold in humidity.

-Matty
very cool thank you mattyb

cloud711

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
in my personal experience i keep the substrate bone dry for all these t's to prevent molds and mites. i never mist. i only provide them with a water dish.

for humidity and moisture provide a water dish.

regarding molting just keep the t's well hydrated and they wont have any problems molting. you can do this by feeding them with well hydrated prey.

i hope this helps. :) :) :)

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
cloud711 said:
in my personal experience i keep the substrate bone dry for all these t's to prevent molds and mites. i never mist. i only provide them with a water dish.

regarding molting just keep the t's well hydrated and they wont have any problems molting. you can do this by feeding them with well hydrated prey.

I could not have said it better !!!!

Regards, Mike :clap: ;) :clap:

GootySapphire

Arachnolord
Old Timer
cloud711 said:

thanks cloud it does help very much. i appreciate you taking the time to post a helpful comment.

hurley0816

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i have a freind that keeps his regalis with no waterdish and fed it well hydrated prey and hasnt had a problem for over a year.

cloud711

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hurley0816 said:
i have a freind that keeps his regalis with no waterdish and fed it well hydrated prey and hasnt had a problem for over a year.
the t will survive. but its risky and thats a risk that i will not take. :)

hurley0816

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i completly agree with you and would never do it and tell him not to.:embarrassed: i was just giving another example.

tarangela2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
how to monitor

regardless of kind of T or method of getting humidity:
how do you all monitor the humidity in the tank, cage, KK, etc?

i've seen gauges but i think they are over-priced. could be wrong on that :? if you use one, how much is too much to pay?

thanks

cloud711

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i dont monitor it. in my opinion the humidity requirements are a little bit overrated. i dont have the gauge either. its quite humid here in our country so i only provide water dish. just like what i said before water dish is enough for humidity and moisture. :)

Nate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
From pervious lurking experience of this forum I’m guessing your going to get a bunch of “I don’t monitor humidity levels” replies.

Your digital hydrometer can be pricey. I have 2 different brands and I still have a +/- of 5 percent. The price range can be from $15 to $70 depending on all the bells and whistles.

You can get the cheap plastic dial ones but they lead to the debate of their accuracy. Compared to my digital one I get a +/- of 10 percent. The price range is around $8 to $12.

With all the +/- ranges it makes one wonder if its worth the effort or money. But hey, at least I’m on my way to a cool hydrometer collection. :8o