Update: Phorid flies

Laura Lee

Arachnopeon
Well, I posted on my previous thread that my millipede's cage was infested with fruit flies.

As it turns out, these seem to actually be phorid/humpback flies.

I was warned to "pray that they aren't phorid flies"... but can anyone tell me why? Are these particularly harmful? Parasitic?

I've completely cleaned out the cage but how do I know they won't come back? I thought I saw a couple of them flying around the room today. If I keep it moist in there it's likely they'll just come right back, but if it's too dry my milli will suffer...

Please help! I'm really worried about my pede!!! He's the only one I've got...

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
http://www.giantspiders.com/article10.html

Here's a good, informational link.

Clean out your milli's enclosure. Change the substrate, try to find eggs on your milli and scrape them off the best you can (be careful on this part.).

After you've done that, set some shotglasses full of whiskey around your milli's cage. The flies will be attracted to the sweet smell, then will be finished off by the strong alcohol.

You can also experiment with fly strips, or introduce some phlocids or other house spiders into your home. Biocontrol.

The good news: They don't sound like phorids to me because phorids are usually reluctant to fly.

Hope this helps

NiGHTS

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Go get some very fine mesh material and place it over the top of the cage. Something like nylon works well - just make sure the weave is small enough to keep the flies from getting back into the enclosure, but not so tight that it restricts airflow. To make things easy, sew some elastic around the edges, so you can slip it on and off of the cage. Yes, it is a pain...but getting a reinfestation of flies is much worse.

Laura Lee

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the information, I will try that. So far they've not come back yet, so we'll see... {D