q about using coco fiber...

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This is the first time I bought a brick of cocnut fiber for my T's. Do I mix the whole thing with water and store it...OR do I cut off what's needed and only soak that amount?

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
you pretty much end up soaking the whole thing. the rest of it can be stored in a bucket and wet down slightly when you need to use it again. In my personmaly experience i would keep this substrate as dry as possible. I don;t know about anyone else but this stuff was a haven for mites.

PinkLady

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Usually what Wolfy and I do is fill a bowl with hot water and put one end of it in the water. It will start to expand and you can take off what you need. The whole brick is actually a lot so depending on how much you need you may not want to soak the whole thing. When we have what we need we just put what's left in a bag for another time. Hope that helps you out some. Usually we mix it with some jungle mix. Not sure what it's called sorry.

Last edited:

Nate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I mix it all at once regardless. Its a pain in the butt to cut with a knife and get the right water mix in chunks.

I still nuke it before putting it in the tanks.

Beccas_824

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have never used coconut fiber before but I'm assuming its kind of similar to Forrest bed-which comes in a big heavy birck.
What i do is put the entire birck in a big pot of water (it is almost impossible to cut) and let it soak, then I drain any access water off and bake it in the oven for a coupel of hours to sterilze it.

agentbsmithi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
if its bed a beast-well, any coco fiber-dont put it in until its dried out a bit, unless you have a species that likes it a little moist. i put a bunch of bed a beast that was dry but still a little wet in my seemanis tank and it started sprouting grass and weeds and stuff. it was weird.

Bloodletting

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You can use a bit at a time. It is so expensive though, especially if bought at a pet store vs. on line. Go get some Peat moss and potting soil, make your own mix and it will last such a long time for a small amount of money.

If your collection is small and you really aren't worried about amounts then it does look nice.

Scott

agentbsmithi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Bloodletting said:
You can use a bit at a time. It is so expensive though, especially if bought at a pet store vs. on line. Go get some Peat moss and potting soil, make your own mix and it will last such a long time for a small amount of money.

If your collection is small and you really aren't worried about amounts then it does look nice.

Scott
its really only expensive if you need to buy a bunch of blocks. its only like 2$ a block i think, and after soaked and dried it expands into way more than you thought you paid for. i have 2 t's and one block was good enough for a 5.5 gallon tank and a medium critter keeper.

fleshstain

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
good luck cutting one of those blocks....i bought a 5ga bucket and lid from home depot that i soak mine in....i do the whole block and just pop the lid on....i drilled some 1/2" holes in it to let some moisture escape....

jojobear

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I usually buy the three pack online (cheaper) and put all three in a rubbermaid container with about half the recommended water and then let it sit overnight. I can then add a little bit of water if needed the next day. It stores well like this too.

apadora

Arachnopeon
I always add about a liter less water than recommended. Sometimes I have to get into the bucket and work the brick apart with my hands, breaking up the little chunks. I find this works well as the recommended amount of water usually makes it too moist for most of my T's...