A.versi not eating well after problem molt

NYCspiderGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have writtten in about this before - when it first happened.

A versi I have raised since .5" recently molted and had lost a leg... also seemed to be dragging another as if not working well. Maybe 6-8 weeks ago.

I tried the wounded prey at first with limited success, but lately she has been dragging her butt around looking thin and walikng with some difficulty, but still able to get around. Otherwise looks good - color, abdomen small but not shrunken. Just not leaping at prey... often retreats from it.

Aside from ready clean water and occaisional misting, what else can I do?
Anyone have experience with another kind of prey she might take more readily? Otherwise I will just sit tight and offer food as before.
Thanks.

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Is she not eating at all, or just with less gusto than before?

NYCspiderGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hard to be sure... I think she's taken one or two, but it sometimes turns out that I will find a dead one when cleaning/changing water that I had assumed was eaten days ago.

I have taken to wounding a cricket (the cruelest part of my day, hopefully!) and placing it practically inside the web-hammock, but some have gotten out and sometimes the T seems almost frightened.
Trying to find balance... easy food without invasive freak-out. After all, wouldn't it freak you out if Bob's Big Boy came to your place to stuff burgers through the window?

I guess patience is needed, but suggestions are welcome.

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
How exactly do you wound the cric? Ever tried partially/completely squishing their heads? I've saved a baby versi with this before... patience is needeed indeed. It wouldn't accept pre-kills every time.

NYCspiderGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yeah... tried that too. Tearing off legs still leaves them crawling and often out of area that T is waiting... besides feeling awful.

I used to do the head-smash on small crix for some small s'lings last year...gruesome but effective.
I agree that there is no "always" answer.... hope for best.

I'll keep trying and hope she does better after next molt.
Cheers for advice -