A question about my tarantula

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
I have one T. It's a G. Rosea.....
I'm still not sure of it's sex, I hope it's a
female. So, I guess there will be 2 questions:)
First, how can I figure out the sex?
And also, what is the safest way to handle a
T. with a pair of tweezers? I'm not ready to hold
it just yet. It would really suck to get bit, not
knowing if I would have a reaction.:eek:
The only thing I have ever been bit by is a
mosquito. So, here I sit wondering if I would
have a bad reaction to a bite!:p

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
handling with tweezers!?!?
the only thing i use those for is to pick dead cricket parts out of the t's tank...i dunno if it is healthy to be using tweezers on t's.

Risto

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't, either.
Anyhow, if you spray a little water in its enclosure, it's quite likely it'll start climbing the sides. This way, you can take a picture of its underside, post it here, and get opinions.

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
Thanks guys :)

I'll post a picture as soon as I can.
I have to borrow a camera, the one I have is
really crappy.
I asked about the tweezers (tongs) because I
saw a dealer at a show handle a T. with a pair.
(I also did not think it was safe to do.)

bodc21

Arachnojason
Old Timer
tweezers....um def not and as for your question about male or female i have a mature male rosey and if you do also he most likely will have a smaller abdomen,not so plump and spurs hooks on the middle of his front legs also the males seem to have a longer leg span hope i was a bit of some help-jason

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
another question

I'm not sure if my T. is mature either.
It is about 2.5 inches. (fangs to rear end)
What is the maximum size of a G. Rosea?
I also checked out it's front legs, I did not
see any spurs. Would they be large enough that
you could not over look them?
Hopefully, I'll be able to get a picture and
we can settle this , for sure.:p

safetypinup

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
At 2.5 inches, it is unlikely (but technically not impossible) that your T is mature.
As far as male spurs, they are fairly hard to miss, themselves, but what would be harder to miss would be the bulbs on the tips of their palps. This is what the male stores sperm in, so they look like little swollen lumps on the ends of his palps--again, very hard to miss. The best way to sex a spider (my opinion, here) is via a molt, though. Just wait for him/her to molt and have a look at it. :)
Good luck.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sex:
By careful examination of a shed skin, or by physical appearance of the tarantula.
Males will have Tibial spurs on the "armpits" of the front legs, and bulbous pedipalps

Handling:
Tweezers? No.
Either don't hold it, or gently coax it onto or into something by nudging it's back legs gently.

Bite:
Allergic reactions aside, there should be little or no consequence from a Chile Rose bite.

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
Thanks to everyone for the info :)

I looked at the whole T and I do not see
any obvious indications of it's sex. I guess
I'll have to wait for a molt. I HATE waiting.
The next time I get a T, I'll have to get one
that is female for sure. :?
Thanks for all of the info:)

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey, get a picture of its underside :) I'm sure some people here can sex it from a sharp such pic.

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
In a previous post you mentioned the next show. If you are referring to the Taylor show on March 1st , I'd be happy to take a look at your T for you there. I'll be at the Cronoss Exotic Bugs (arachnopets username mmmmdonuts) for the duration of the show.

John

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hey J,P

Originally posted by JP version 1.0
In a previous post you mentioned the next show. If you are referring to the Taylor show on March 1st , I'd be happy to take a look at your T for you there. I'll be at the Cronoss Exotic Bugs (arachnopets username mmmmdonuts) for the duration of the show.

John
c ya there=D

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If there is a part of you that wants to hold the T, then let me help you. Go out and really piss off someone. This person, in return, will piss you off. During the moment of deep emotional rage that you should be in at the time, just go over and gently pick up your T from below. This is how you pick up the T. While the T is still on the ground, put your hand flat on the ground palm up next to the T. Next, use the other hand to move the T slowly onto your hand that is on the ground. There.

The reason I said to get yourself pissed off is because during such emotional moments the fear of your T is being blocked. Once you have the T on your hand, there is no way in hell anyone can make you put it down for a while. Trust me, it has worked so far 100% with everyone I know, including myself.

Please excuse my french.

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
Show~:0)

I'll be there, maybe a little late.
My boys have baseball try outs that day, one
at 9:30am, and the other at 12.
Spring isn't even here yet, and their talking baseball already! It seems like the last game was yesterday to me:rolleyes: