id needed - WC species in singapore

ThatGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
first one looks like a Centruroides ssp. i cant really tell ya what the second one is.

misfitsfiend

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
do centruroides live in singapore?
the first looks like
Isometrus spp. , maybe Isometrus maculatus?
not sure about the second...

Last edited:

ThatGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
misfitsfiend said:
do centruroides live in singapore?
the first looks like
Isometrus spp. , maybe Isometrus maculatus?
not sure about the second...
it does look like a Isometrus maculatus the second pic.

ThatGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
the first pic has gotta be a Centruroides spp. or maybe just maybe some kinda Tityus, but i doubt it.

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
2nd one is Chaerilus rectimanus.. only the first one
any one can post some pic of isometrus species? i cant find any to ID him.

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yessss

yess:cool: {D :D

the 2nd post of mine one works

sorry if im posting too much :p

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
interesting
first u got Damon sp in Singapore which supposedly is from Africa
Second u got Centuroides sp which is supposedly from Central America

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi
Like I said on the other board I think you'll find its Isometrus formosus since that is the native buthid species. I've looked for a picture but haven't even been able to find a paper with a good image of this species (the Kovarik review is not much use here)

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Randolph XX() said:
interesting
first u got Damon sp in Singapore which supposedly is from Africa
Second u got Centuroides sp which is supposedly from Central America
hahah i also don why but that isnt any fun, im keeping things that i can ID, dono wat are they! how troublesome if i wana tell ppl wat i keep! any way the damon sp tailess whips.. i found mor ethe 10 speciment and have CB many as well... many headache! i hope i can fins out wat specues is that Centuroides sp looking scop is from, some say its isometrus sp as well! and singopire only have isometrus species but it doesnt look a damn thing like the isometrus species listed in singapore scorpion list any where on the neT!! GRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!! im going carzy! till i findmore of it tehn its sure that they are native, its the only one im gonna ever find it could be some hobbist's release into the wild...

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
kahoy said:
yess:cool: {D :D

the 2nd post of mine one works

sorry if im posting too much :p

thnak you so muchnow i jus have to find smilar one s and try to photo hunt them. will look through and post some pics for you guys to help me decide, (besides my decision though ! ;P ;P ;P )

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
fusion121 said:
Hi
Like I said on the other board I think you'll find its Isometrus formosus since that is the native buthid species. I've looked for a picture but haven't even been able to find a paper with a good image of this species (the Kovarik review is not much use here)
hi, ive been looking for it too! hehe thanks any ways! post a pic you u find any! i doubtr its native any ways!

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the second specimen could be a chaerilus sp.
and according to www.scorpionfauna.com, chaerilus rectimanus is native to singapore.
Based on the same site, I'd guess the first one is I.formosus and looks like a male

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
cant say I have a clue what you have the second one I'm sure i've seen an image of before pretty neat too. Is there a university close by that might be able to identify your mystery scorpion? Thats what some people do with strange inverts, perhaps it could work for yours.

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm thinking Isometrus krasenskyi

judging this based on:
-ST granulation
-univerally yellow legs w/o spotting

I. formosa, will have spotted legs and a the ST is not sharply pointed... its rather wide and rounded.

Isometus Key (PDF format)

it is definately NOT I. maculatus... I have a bunch of those

the second:
Chaerilus species

likely Chaerilus rectimanus judging on size and chela

Last edited:

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi Isaac
How are you making the determination? As far as I can see from the pictures its impossible to tell whether the symmetrical arrangement of granules is present below the ST, or indeed the arrangement of the trichobothria on the chela. Also the Kovarik key says nothing on the coloration of the legs of I. formosus so I don't think you can use it as a separating character. Also as far as I can tell I.krasenskyi is not a species associated with Singapore (although it is found very close in indonesia which means it not impossible). The only evidence I can see as being reliable is the locality and the only buthid species associated with singapore is I. formosus. I think its going to be a case of not being able to ID from photos, unless we can get really detailed ones of telson and pedipalps.

Your right that the tooth is not quite rounded but it is wide and kovarik is using quite a general description:?

Last edited:

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
TheNothing said:
Oliver, in the first post, he happened to put a link to a gallery that has several more pictures, most notibly, these two:

telson
http://individualistic.multiply.com/photos/photo/29/5.jpg
pedipalps
http://images.individualistic.multiply.com/image/2/photos/29/7.jpg

agreed, though, Kovarik's descriptions are fairly general and non-descriptive

Hi
Yes, I saw those 2 but as far as I can tell neither of them are of high enough quality to make out the nessesary features, I can see the trichobothria but not where they actually join the chela. Can you spot the granulation or trichobothria patterns in those pictures?:?