:: F e e d e r s ::

:wumpscut:

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just to start off, what are most of the comon feeders outside of crix and mealies? secondly, has anyone feed small lizards or geckos? mice? spiders?
I was asked today by some if the Israeli Golds would eat stenodactylus stheno or if they could be housed together. of course i said yes and then no but it got me thinking. what are the exceptable limits of food items? for example i think it's plain wrong to feed chickens to boas for many reasons. it's just wrong and in certain groups very fround upon.

Normski2020uk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I generaly feed my 2 Emp Scorps, Crickets, my second favorit is Locust, Adult ones, or near adult 3 -4th molt. I have tryed Pinky mice, and they scoffed the whole thing, nothing left, not even bone. This is more of a treat, for them, and they dont need feeding agaon for 2-3 weeks after. I will be geting hold of roaches soon and trying theses out. I do not like brown crickets, to small and fast. My Emps do get them eventually. I,m also on the lookout for any large spiders. Hard to find in the UK, unless you want to fork out for a pet spider.

TarantuChimp

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The crickets I got at the moment are Winter ones and are larger then the ones I am feeding in the warmer months,
When Gloria gets a bit bigger she can tackle a few locusts I cant wait :D

Norm - Have you ever used black crickets??

fscorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Why would you house a gecko and a scorpion together? If you want to torture both animals you you can do it, as the gecko is to large for the israeli gold. However, I don't see any purpose for that unless for the sadistic amusemnt of the beholder...

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In this last week I have sucessfully managed to completely feed off the remainder of my crickets, and I am now feeding roaches only...

and the room smells better now...

dotdman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I used to feed predominantly crickets, but they smell horrendous given the chance so I feed mostly roaches at the moment. My larger Androctonus ssp. seem content enough with roaches only, but I give them pinky mice and small lizards occasionally if I have them available.

Kindest kindest,

Kevin P.

yuanti

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mine have eaten small tree frogs, praying mantis, superworms, waxworms, wolf spider, crickets and locust. Currently feeding mainly superworms but looking into feeding roaches here shortly

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
fscorpion said:
Why would you house a gecko and a scorpion together? If you want to torture both animals you you can do it, as the gecko is to large for the israeli gold. However, I don't see any purpose for that unless for the sadistic amusemnt of the beholder...
a stenodactylus is not a house gecko. a steno is much smaller and they come from the same locale. house geckos are hemidactylus and come from more humid areas like forests, no deserts.

basically the stendo group occupy the same area as the golds. different niches for one like petrii and doria but the S. sthenodactylus occupy the same area and live in the same way. the idea came as i've been succesful with housing dart frogs and boas, leaf tail geckos with mantellas and a client just wanted to know if it could be done. of course i said no but that brought up the idea of the things they ate in the wild and that lead to others feeder questions. calm down fscorpion. a naturalistic vivarium has many different designs. some include housing feeders like in a dart frog tank, or a trantula habitat others don't like in a boa habitat...but in a garter setting housing salamanders that are able to breed is a good idea if you want that much detail. it's really about balance and the understanding of what each need.
IMO though, the cute little cat like tail wiggling of a stheno is more precious to me then a high protien calorie diet to a gold.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I use crickets for many of the herps i work with. for our uroplatus breeding pojects i've tried many different types of roaches thanks to blaberus.com and learning from sikorae that eat anything if hungery even hissers to the phants and ebens that are aso picky...argh! what species of scorps do you guy feed what species of roaches to? i really dislike the cricket as it stinks, eats eggs and so on. what types of gut loads are considered for your feeders?

also, with the mantis feeding...how do they provide nutrients? thanks all!

ScorpDude

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Roaches, crickets, mealworms, morio's (giant mealies), locusts, and to a lesser extent waxworms.

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I feed lobsters to all our animals... Leos, Beardies, 200 scorps, and the tarantulas... the Beardies especially love them...

fed on tropical fish flakes and an occational orange. they are dusted for the Leos and Beardies.

and contrary to what everyone else says, feeding vertibrates to scorpions/t's is completely unnecessary, and frowned upon

fscorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
:wumpscut: said:
a stenodactylus is not a house gecko. a steno is much smaller and they come from the same locale. house geckos are hemidactylus and come from more humid areas like forests, no deserts.

basically the stendo group occupy the same area as the golds. different niches for one like petrii and doria but the S. sthenodactylus occupy the same area and live in the same way. the idea came as i've been succesful with housing dart frogs and boas, leaf tail geckos with mantellas and a client just wanted to know if it could be done. of course i said no but that brought up the idea of the things they ate in the wild and that lead to others feeder questions. calm down fscorpion. a naturalistic vivarium has many different designs. some include housing feeders like in a dart frog tank, or a trantula habitat others don't like in a boa habitat...but in a garter setting housing salamanders that are able to breed is a good idea if you want that much detail. it's really about balance and the understanding of what each need.
IMO though, the cute little cat like tail wiggling of a stheno is more precious to me then a high protien calorie diet to a gold.
You do know how small an israeli goledn scorp is?! I am sure he can't manage stenodactylus. My question is what is the point of keeping them together. The scorpion would be always bothered by the gecko in search of a the same hiding spot and vice versa. If you don’t want that to happen u have to place them in a huge terrarium and then you wouldn't be able to see them, or no one would want to place them in big terrariums because most people lack space.
I would like to see where do you house a boa and tree frogs? That space must be much bigger for the animals to live in peace. Its not that fascinating that you managed to house them together because the frogs are poisonous and they aren't on the boa's menu, and the frogs are just too tiny to bother the boa, but do they like it where they are? Do they feel comfortable? You can manage to keep many animals to live together or to live in cages, but many of them can't adapt in that environment...

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
CB dart frogs are not poisonous...i didn't say tree frogs. it's 20 feet long. i don't think you know quite what your speaking about. you seem to have forgot also that i was asked to ask so i did. i think most zoos have room for an enclosure larger then a fish tank, cheers.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
TheNothing said:
I feed lobsters to all our animals... Leos, Beardies, 200 scorps, and the tarantulas... the Beardies especially love them...

fed on tropical fish flakes and an occational orange. they are dusted for the Leos and Beardies.

and contrary to what everyone else says, feeding vertibrates to scorpions/t's is completely unnecessary, and frowned upon
What species of roaches? I used fish flakes too but became concernd about the amount of fish meal in the flakes and bacteria loads in the uroplatus. I woek with many gutloads that i've learned about from the cham-group at chameleoonnews.com but it's easier to use flakes and some legums and such.

I think it's agreed then. no gex for the scorps. i was just needing to ask. not a pr guy but i said i find out.

on the topic of gut load for scorp feeders, is anyone aware of the increase or decrease of testosterone in the scorpion as compared to the feeder? i noted many times that breeding and territory display became stronger when the feeders had a high protien diet; whey protien and oats compared to those on a high carb dies; beans and wheat germ. also is the caloric intake for gestating females better if half fat to protien or does it matter? silly questions huh...

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i'm pretty sure there hasn't been any study on that at all...

Lobster Roaches (Nauphoeta cinerea)

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Isaac,
Lobersters are pretty sticky in a way, what are you feeding these to? I wonder if the muskyness of some roaches would keep them from being eaten.

thnx,

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi guys i recently stop feed crickets...cos they tend to lay eggs (female) in the scorps tanks and the male is nosiy... i jus recently got some american roaches and they breed damn fast so i have many sizes to feed off. i feel they are much easier. cheers. noe i only use female to lay eggs and get pin heads., meal worms to feed scorpling as their high protein.. :)

Mithrandir

Arachnopeon
Ok now everybody is already convinced that it's a bad idea to house them together. But I still think that Scorpio maurus is quite big enough to kill and eat a little defenseless gecko like a Stenodactylus (in theory, I'm against testing that off course)

Normski2020uk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
walton09 said:
hi guys i recently stop feed crickets...cos they tend to lay eggs (female) in the scorps tanks and the male is nosiy... i jus recently got some american roaches and they breed damn fast so i have many sizes to feed off. i feel they are much easier. cheers. noe i only use female to lay eggs and get pin heads., meal worms to feed scorpling as their high protein.. :)
To stop them laying eggs, bend there tube, the females have a long tube between the to horny looking things (very technical i know), this will prevent them from laying, as as they are about to be eaten, i think its an acceptable evil.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mithrandir said:
Ok now everybody is already convinced that it's a bad idea to house them together. But I still think that Scorpio maurus is quite big enough to kill and eat a little defenseless gecko like a Stenodactylus (in theory, I'm against testing that off course)
yeah, i'm sure. it sounds a bad as feed a boa a cute little bunny.

i read someplace that coleonyx have been seen with Hadrurus arizonensis in the same burrow and both ignoring the other. maybe the gecko is too big or doesn't fit the scorpions food list. i wouldn't risk it.

<>