The importance of a water dish for your Tarantula?

MRL

Arachnolord
Old Timer
How important is it to have a dish of water for your tarantula? Could you get by safely without one?

I plan and do keep my arboreals without a water dish but my larger terrestrials will have water available to them. I'm wondering how necessary it is?

thanks!

Chronos

Arachnopeon
a tarantulas water dish

YES your tarantulas do need water and there water dish should be the size of there leg spand so they can hover over there water to drink.Your arboreals need water too perferably up high because they dont go low often.

Last edited:

Lover of 8 legs

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Why would you ever consider a setup without a waterdish when all of the experienced recommend that a water supply is essential for the well-being of Ts? How else would they get this water when needed? My Ts drink quite a lot especially just prior to webbing. They do get some moisture from their food but I feed on a schedule. What would happen if they need moisture & its not feeding time? They can go long periods without food but not without water. Even if you never see them actually drinking is it worth the chance?

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There are some who don't use water dishes. They either supply moisture through misting or supplying a water dish for a few days once a month. A lot of Ts can get enough moisture just from the insects etc... that they eat. You want to be careful, keeping the substrate moist can result in parasites such as mites, so some keep the substrate dry and provide a water dish to provide humidity.

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer

even though i can't 100% its necessary(provided a few other stipulations are met) but i would say its a good idea. the t can get a drink whenever it wants, and it also adds a little to the humidity level..not sure how much in all honestly. has anyone seen any studies on the difference between no water bowl, and there being on?? i have one of those cheap gauges so i dont even know if its worth trying with it. the t gets a majority of its moisture from its food, but ive still caught both terrestrials and arboreals drink from their dishes. i don't use them for anything under 1-1.5" so far...occasionally ill put some drops of water to one side of the substrate in the vials, and i've seen small slings drink that way too.

G_Wright

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It is not necessary to have a water dish at all.

most of their water they get comes from there prey items. Your spider can get by just fine with you soaking one corner of substrate in it's enclosure.

None of my T's have water dishes and they are all fine.

G_Wright

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
David Burns said:
There are some who don't use water dishes. They either supply moisture through misting or supplying a water dish for a few days once a month. A lot of Ts can get enough moisture just from the insects etc... that they eat. You want to be careful, keeping the substrate moist can result in parasites such as mites, so some keep the substrate dry and provide a water dish to provide humidity.
I've never had any problems with mites if you just soak one corner and have plenty of ventilation and remove prey items.

not removing eaten prey items is the main cause of getting mites IMO as a lot of them probably come in with the crickets in the 1st place.

MRL

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Lover of 8 legs said:
Why would you ever consider a setup without a waterdish when all of the experienced recommend that a water supply is essential for the well-being of Ts? How else would they get this water when needed? My Ts drink quite a lot especially just prior to webbing. They do get some moisture from their food but I feed on a schedule. What would happen if they need moisture & its not feeding time? They can go long periods without food but not without water. Even if you never see them actually drinking is it worth the chance?
When I first began, only half my T's ever had a water dish and they did fine, none of the arboreal species had water dish and I recall seeing them drinking from the moist glass. At many shops I hardly ever see a water dish available in their enclosures so I figured it may not be worth the hassle each day specially when they get misted daily.

MRL

Arachnolord
Old Timer
G_Wright said:
I've never had any problems with mites if you just soak one corner and have plenty of ventilation and remove prey items.

not removing eaten prey items is the main cause of getting mites IMO as a lot of them probably come in with the crickets in the 1st place.
That sounds like a good idea soaking one area and I do a quick cleaning for most of my established set ups prior to feeding. As it is now I do a light mist and have a water dish but to fill the water I have to remove each tank from where I keep them and that doubles the time taken to do the maintenance.

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You need to remember that some species hate moist substrate. For those species you might want to keep them dry with a water dish.

Wolfy72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
G_Wright said:
It is not necessary to have a water dish at all.

most of their water they get comes from there prey items. Your spider can get by just fine with you soaking one corner of substrate in it's enclosure.

None of my T's have water dishes and they are all fine.
I agree the ONLY 2 T's i have with water dish are my 2 Blondi's, and it get changed and refreshed everyday, I havent used water dishes since i had an outbreak of mites about 6 months ago, all my T's are perfectly happy and well taken care of.

Niloticus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
MRL said:
How important is it to have a dish of water for your tarantula? Could you get by safely without one?

I plan and do keep my arboreals without a water dish but my larger terrestrials will have water available to them. I'm wondering how necessary it is?

thanks!
I don't use water dishes for my smaller T's, but always provide one for the bigger ones. I typically mist the substrate for my slings and strictly use water bowls for juveniles - adult size. I would say you don't absolutely have to have one, but it does help when a T becomes sick or is nearing a molt. As someone else said, they usually get water from their food items. If possible, I do prefer a water dish over misting, but sometimes I cannot do so.

Niloticus

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
IMHO-it's important (for me) to give my T's access to water whenever they want it, as I feel strongly that it is hydration and NOT humidity levels that make for successful molts. Even my tiny slings get small water bowls. We've all seen or at least read about the effects of dehydration,and I feel like I'm providing a better environment for them.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I myself only use waterdishes for 25% of my 150+ Ts often letting these go dry. I check every T daily and feed quite often. If I am breeding I make sure the female has water and mist the males often.

G_Wright

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
KJE said:
You need to remember that some species hate moist substrate. For those species you might want to keep them dry with a water dish.

Thast why you just soak one corner and keep teh rest of the substrate dry. This works with all teh species of brachys and grammastola etc. Never had and problems with them.

But then again tehre is no problem with a water dish. i just find that with water dishes they tend to creat a nice breeding ground for all sorts underneath them.

Elijah12214

Arachnopeon
I have never seen my tarantulas. dring I was wondering should I hot glue like a water dish to one of the sides of the terrium? for my matallica aviculairae

MysticKigh

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Elijah12214 said:
I have never seen my tarantulas. dring I was wondering should I hot glue like a water dish to one of the sides of the terrium? for my matallica aviculairae
Hey Elijah,
as you have probably already noted... there is a vast opinion difference on this subject. As someone whom *has* seen my Ts drink from their dishes, I am a huge supporter of providing access to water at all times. However, if you choose to do this, I don't know that using hot glue to secure the dish is the best idea simply because it could prove quite difficult to clean/ change the water. Maybe hotglue a 'shelf' for the water dish :)

Chronos

Arachnopeon
A water dish.

I have to agree with bonesmama again they might need more water at times. SO, I would say give them a water dish. I have to agree with my mom to but I usally do.

,good luck

Last edited:

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I, too, have seen my Ts drinking from their water dishes. But all of mine are kept on bonedry substrate now. The only ones I mist are the T. blondi and for very young slings, I'll spritz a little down the side of the cup near their hide. But imho water dishes are definitely the way to go. And to keep things from breeding under the water dish, I move mine to a dry spot every time I change their water.

BLS Blondi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here Is What I Do

Here is what I do. ALL of mine have water dishes...even arboreals. For babies, I use Gatorade caps and fill them according to the T's size. For example...I have a P. formosa that is 1/2". I put a Gatorade cap in the corner and fill it to where the water is 1/8" high. This way they have water, and also will not drown. Simply misting the web MAY not be good enough...since this water may evaporate too fast. Whatever your preference...All living things need water. Water should be available to themm at ALL times.