HELP! GBB-How long does it stay on back?

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sorry to bother y'all, I'm just a particularly nervous new spider mom. I have an ~3" GBB that I raised up for the past six months or so. All the other molts have been very quick. This time, it stopped eating a few weeks ago, and has been particularly inactive. This morning I noticed it was finally on its back. I was really happy about this, however, here it is about 3 hours later, and it's still on its back, not moving or molting either. Can it be dead? I'm afraid to move it. How long does it take to begin molting, once it flips over? When they die, do they also flip over? Please help, I really like this spider and I'm very upset right now. Thanks.

MysticKigh

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I wouldn't panic yet :) I've had them go an entire day before.
Usually when a T dies it is upright with it's legs curled underneath it. If it still has it's legs outstretched I imagine it's just taking it's time.
You could probably raise the humidity a bit if you're concerned to keep the exo nice and supple ... let us know when you have a complete moult... your baby will be gorgeous ! :-D

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks, I feel better now...

TG. I had a feeling it was OK and just taking its time, but I was literally shaking with fear. I recently lost a snake (still hoping he'll be found) and I've been so depressed, I don't think I could stand something happening to another one of my animals. It's completely outstretched, like its spread out on a hammock soaking up the rays, just missing the sunglasses and mai tai in tiki glass with paper umbrella. I'll let you know the outcome. Last time he/she molted I saw the whole thing beginning to end, I was very lucky. I have been keeping the humidity high for the past week, btw, in preparation for this day!

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
OH! It just started....

...wish us luck!
To be continued...

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
DO not raise the humidity at all, these spiders thrive in dry conditions a water dish is all it will ever need, no misting no nothing....I am sure your spider will be just fine..

Regards, Mike

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Mine did the same thing, I kept looking and looking then hours later it 'popped it's top' and pulled out clean in 5 minutes.

Bill

DanCameron

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My GBB last molting was into it's maturity (turned out female) and that molting took approximately 12 hours. The larger they get, the longer it takes for them to molt. But she molted without a single problem and is now happily breeding with my male.

big_loader

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Same here, my 5 1/2" female took around 6 hours in total, most of which was spent lying on her back appearing to be doing nothing.

Don't worry, i'm sure everything will e fine :D

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
All Done

It didn't take long once it started--a little more than a half hour. It's so shiny and new now! With this molt, the carapace appears really bright green, before it was still dark. He/she is sitting right on top of it's shed, so I can't remove it. Thanks everyone for the support, I can breath now. I can hardly believe how beautiful this spider is, I highly recommend a GBB to anyone that doesn't have one.

solaceofwinter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i hope to get one at my reptile show this weekend... *crosses fingers*
glad your molt came out well :)

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm going to a reptile expo this weekend too! I really hope you get one, I'm really enjoying mine. Mine was teeny-tiny, so I didn't pay much, but it ate well and grew fairly quickly.

I'm hoping to find any one of the pretty Brachypelma's like B. Smithi or B. Emilia this weekend. I want a spider I can handle.

I'll try to get a photo.

Hey DC, good luck with the mating, hope you have hundreds of little gbb's{D