Need Advice for H.spinifer

subzero.xml

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello guys, i need some advice for my new pet, a H.spinifer..

Can you give me some points to remember so i could take good care of my H.spinifer.

And i got a question about feeding:
If my H.spinifer is full and you will give him food, is he going to eat it or not?
How often should i feed my H.spinifer ?

thanx guys!

subzero.xml

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
And about my tank, is it ok that the soil is wet? or i should have a dry part and a wet part of the tank?

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi.. im answering thjose Qs that youhave ask not fond in that thread...

Try to feed at night.. and leave it overnight till the next morning if the scop is full it will not eat and you might wana take the food out and intorduce to it the next day.

as for how often.. it depends on your spinifer size? i feed my adult about one adult cricket or roach every 2-3 days , they seem to enjoy this cycle thought. as for my 3rd instars every two day i feed a adult meal worm. when you intro and they don eat take it out and try the next day, after they eat, count 2 days agaiN! thats wat i do.. :)

i recommand peat moss as they are more acidic so they wont mold easily..

humdity shoyuld be ok inphillipines. so not to worry, thjey are quite hardy species.. :)

franco

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i've had my h. spinifer for almost 2 years now. the substrate i use is coco peat and i keep it moist just enough to keep the enclosure humid. if you're using soil it's better if you mix it with a little sand/gravel. i feed mine 2x-3x a week, one criket per meal

subzero.xml

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thanx guys..

my scorp consume one medium size lizard last saturaday, i guess he is still full coz i offered him a lizard last night and when i woke up the lizard is still there, is it normal?

i had a gauge for humidity and temp, humidity is 85 sometimes 90 and my temp is 28 C, is it ok right?

kean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Humidity is good for spinifers here in our country so u need not to worry on that, Yeah mix Some sand in your soil, but the probelm with soil is it gets mold quite easily. I'm using soil with Sand but planning to switch on to Coco Dust mixed with Moss. They don't need wet surfaces, just try to mist your tank once in awhile using a sprayer. Wet surfaces accumulate Mold and Mites and it will not be good for ur Scorp. Good Luck!! :)

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Subzero-

While i'm a bit new to keeping Heterometrus spp. I have made some brief observations that may be bit helpful:

1) The higher the temperatures, the higher the metabolism and the more frequently they'll eat.
2) Higher temps increase both activity levels and defensive reactions.
3) While my H. longimanus fems have excavated deep sub-horizontal burrows, my H. spinifer fem has simply excavated a chamber slightly larger than her body and at temps above 28C, all become moderately to highly active.
4) As for substrate, keep it moist, not wet (saturated). Keep the environment warm and at least moderately humid (>75%). Your keeping conditions seem perfect for many Heterometrus spp.

Good luck!!!

subzero.xml

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
some part of my aquarium is wet, it ok? or i have to maintain moist?

im using moss? is it ok?

can someone advice me how to mix soil that is compatible with my scorp..

thanx!

Last edited:

franco

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
it's best if you use coco peat and moss. no need to keep your tank too humid because our climate here is already good for spinifers. and barkscorpion is right, don't get the temperature of your tank low or they'll have a decrease in activity. to keep your tank humid all you need is a waterdish and if your enclosure is indoor use a 20 watt lamp to keep the temperature just right. i'll ship you the scorps next week after i get the h. lividum

regards,
franco

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Subzero,

As Franco states above, you're in the perfect environment for H. spinifer, considering that at least 3 Heterometrus species have been described from your nation.
As humidity is not a primary factor for consideration in your case, simply use a lightweight substrate medium with moderate moisture retention properties. Don't even moisten the substrate as the ambient RH will provide all the moisture your scorp needs. Provide it with a water bowl and keep it well fed.
Good luck.

Luc

subzero.xml

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i have to rebuild my tank, thanx for the advice!

Franco ill wait for it.. =) ill col you later..

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i wish some of the Filipeno AB memebers would go catch some of those rare Heterometrus.. ;)

*hint hint* :p

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
George,

I second that! However, I'm still working on getting a few H. cyaneus, H. laoticus and H. swammerdami this spring! *hint, hint* ;)

Take care,
Luc

subzero.xml

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes we will, ill try to ask some of my friends if they got rare kind.. And we
will ship it to you =)

kean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the average lifespan of the Heterommetrus Specie is 8-9yrs.

we have Heterometrus Specie round here but is really hard to find, so we also try to import some from our neighbor countries. :) The only one which is pretty common is the Liocheles Australasiae.

gustavowright

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello guys...while reading that thread, it lead me to concern about my H.laoticus (I think)....I got him a month ago and it hasnt been eaten nutting since then...what should I do???Help!!!I live in Brazil and for sure sure the temp and humidity is quite ok these days.

franco

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i wish some of the Filipeno AB memebers would go catch some of those rare Heterometrus..

*hint hint* :p
hahaha!!! i'll be sending my good friend woodson some liocheles australasiae and hopefully a h. laoticus. this is the first time i'll be trying this so in case it works i'll let you guys know ASAP ;)

gustavowright - can you post a pic of your enclosure? the temp in your country is just the same as ours so that wouldn't be a problem. what do you feed it? make sure that the substrate you use is not very wet. is it burrowing? if it's burrowing and has decreased in activity it's probably in pre-molt