can you help a beginner?

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
as i said in the announcement area, i recently aquired an avicularia purpurea that was shipped from Tennessee. i was just worndering two things; if i should be worried that it has not started webbing yet, and when i should begin a feeding shcedule for it.

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Avics can take a while to start webbing. I've never kept A. purpurea but the avics and versis I've kept took anywhere from a few days to a few months to start webbing after being transferred to new enclosures. As for feeding...I usually give a cricket to spiders as soon as I unpack them unless they're obviously in pre-molt. Too impatient to wait, I guess. You could feed right away or give it some time to settle in...completely up to you.

Good luck with the new purp. Very nice looking spiders. :)

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
i will second that...some T's adjust to their new homes faster than others.

My A. metallica started webbing within a week of being rehoused. My A. huriana that I rehoused at the same time (about 2 weeks ago) has only laid down one little clump of webbing and it's all tangled up. The first tank I p ut it in it took over 3 weeks to start, iirc. So don't get worried if they don't web right away. In fact, I would say enjoy it because sometimes they will spin the webbing so thick it is hard to see through and they will often hide in their tubes.

Bloodletting

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Do you have anything leaning in your tank such as a fake plant or bark. I notice mine will web quite quickly if they have something to climb up on to start their webbing.

me

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks for the info everyone, i have decided to give it some time and i'm now prepearing to get a few pinheads. and yes, i do have something for it to climb.

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Avic purpurea is at the top of my favorite species list. I'm curious, how small is it, that you are feeding it pinheads. I have 2 juvie A purpurea, and they are not great eaters. I do have 2 other avic slings (not purpurea) and each started webbing within a day of being rehoused. The best advice I can give you is to make sure there is ample ventilation in the housing and that the holes are not too large that the sling can squeeze through. With avic slings, I mist every other day or so. Good luck!

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i haven't measured, but MJ sold it to me as 3/4 an inch. recently caught a pinhead i dropped in there (no web yet), roughly about the size of it's chelicerae tips to it's sternum. you think i should give it one of the mediums i give to my pacman frog?

Last edited:

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
At 3/4 of an inch, I would stay with the pin heads, especially if it has eaten them.

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
okay, i'll stick with pin heads.

UPDATE: it has recently made a bit of webbing between the piece of wood i have in there and the side of the tank.