Help, need ID on possible Southern California T

Shelob

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I work at a pet store out here in Santa Clarita, CA (about an hour north of Los Angeles) and I had a customer bring this spider in today. He thought it was a T and wanted to get a setup for it.

I told him that to my (admittingly inexperienced eye) that it didn't look like a T to me and that I was uncertain exactly how to care for it as well as if it's venom was at all signifigant (I doubt it, but again I don't have a postive ID). Anyway I offered to take it off his hands and he was more than happy to find someone who wanted it.

Enough story, on to the pics!

At first glance I thought it was a trapdoor spider, but I was under the impression that their abdomen was shaped almost like a cork, to plug up the hole against predators. I have lived in So. Cal all my life and since a child have explored and found just about every insect that is native to my area but having only lived in Santa Clarita for 2 years now I can't say I know the natives that well.

Anyone have any suggestions on care for this spider? Right now he is on bed-a-beast, not to dry, not damp, about 2 inches thick and I pre-made him a burrow and he took right to it.

Any ideas?

Aubrey Sidwell

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It looks like a funnel web spider. If my guess is right then I would say put him back into the wild. The ones I have known of do not survive long in captivity. If you are bent on keeping it then at least try filling a ten gallon aquarium 2-3 inches from the top and have the substrate damp. Pre-dig a small hole almost to the bottom that is about 1 inch around. They dig about a foot deep and make an inground tunnel- then they make a 6-8 inch long funnel on the top of the soil they live in which they use as a trap to catch prey. They are really cool but they don't seem to keep well in captivity. Good luck.

Shelob

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the suggestions guys, anyone else have an idea?

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
Wow looks like an N. chromatus boy had a shave too close! Never knew funnel webs could be so colorful... better off let the handsome fellow go and fulfill his destiny. Mature males, especially true spiders, don't live very long.

wolfpak

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
JohnxII said:
Wow looks like an N. chromatus boy had a shave too close! Never knew funnel webs could be so colorful... better off let the handsome fellow go and fulfill his destiny. Mature males, especially true spiders, don't live very long.
that's what i had in mind too:)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
while i'm almost positive it's a myglamorph (contains trapdoors, pursewebs, tarantulas and others)

it's general shape is kind of like California trapdoor (Bothriocyrtum californicum), but i don't think i've ever read about those crazy knees

very awesome looking spider!
i love the knee coloring

bugguide Ctenizidae (trapdoor spiders) Browse

wait, i have a list of all CA myglymorphs... just a sec let me find it :)

ok, some Genus that are in CA:

Aliatypus GoogleImageSearch: Aliatypus
Antrodiaetus GoogleImageSearch: Antrodiaetus *** LOOK AT THIS ONE!!!
Atypoides GoogleImageSearch: Atypoides *** LOOK AT THIS ONE!!!

Bothriocyrtum (californicum) GoogleImageSearch: Bothriocyrtum (californicum)
Hebestatis GoogleImageSearch: Hebestatis
Aptostichus GoogleImageSearch: Aptostichus
Nemesoides GoogleImageSearch: Nemesoides
Promyrmekiaphila GoogleImageSearch: Promyrmekiaphila
Hexurella GoogleImageSearch: Hexurella
Megahexura GoogleImageSearch: Megahexura
Brachythele GoogleImageSearch: Brachythele
Calisoga GoogleImageSearch: Calisoga *** LOOK AT THIS ONE!!!

species in CA from "good" genus

Antrodiaetus montanus in Shasta Co.

Antrodiaetus pacificus in Mendocino Co. northeast to Modoc Co.

Atypoides gertschi in Sierra Co. north to Siskiyou Co.

Atypoides riversi in Monterey Co. north to Humboldt Co., Mariposa Co. north to Butte Co.

Calisoga theveneti in Humboldt Co., Mariposa Co.

these google image searches kind of sucked, actually
Antrodiaetus montanus GoogleImageSearch: Antrodiaetus montanus
Antrodiaetus pacificus GoogleImageSearch: Antrodiaetus pacificus
Atypoides gertschi GoogleImageSearch: Atypoides gertschi
Atypoides riversi GoogleImageSearch: Atypoides riversi
Calisoga theveneti GoogleImageSearch: Calisoga theveneti

gods i love living in CA

Last edited:

taorchard1987

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
looks to me like some type of trapdoor, however if it was theres about a 99% chance that you would'nt be holding it. Id say it is definatly is a burrowing species though

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
taorchard1987 said:
looks to me like some type of trapdoor, however if it was theres about a 99% chance that you would'nt be holding it. Id say it is definatly is a burrowing species though

CA non-thera myglamorphs aren't nearly as "bad" as some of the Old Worlders!
some are supposed to be quite retiring, actually :)

Shelob

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the replies guys, was hoping for a more positive Id but I'll take what I can get. The little guy doesn't look too happy in his current home so I figure I will let him go. Thanks again guys (especially cacoseraph)!

:worship: