Which is correct?

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok, so I went and got the 2 sad millipedes from Petco today. I thought that I might know what they were finally because miraculously they came with a care sheet. The care sheet lists them as Giant African Millipede (Scaphiostreptus parilis). From what I've been able to read, Giant African Millipedes are A. gigas and that S. parilis seems to be Red Millipede. Exactly why I hate common names!!! :eek: Anyway, just when I thought I knew what these were! I'm leaning towards A. gigas because they are more black than red, with only a little bit of brown underneath their body segments. Also, one of them is close to 8 inches now that I see her all stretched out. Do S. parilis get this big as well? Lastly, I sexed one as a female, and the other I am not sure about, possibly a male, but I can't be certain since I haven't really gotten a good look at him yet. At what point do they reach maturity and become able to breed? Oh, and does anyone have pics I can see of their millipede set-ups? They are in a temporary home right now til I can build something bigger and more interesting. I've like to get some ideas.

Thanks!
Karen

Kid Dragon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Most likely A. gigas. I had some reproduce when they were about 8 inches, but they can get bigger than that.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
the care sheets they give you are just what they have laying (er, lying.. hate that) around that looks similar

i've gotten crazy species sheets and seen Petco selling a pink toe (A. avicularia) as a brazilian black (G. pulchra) so take EVERYTHING they say with a grain of salt :)

Buffalo_Ripley

Arachnopeon
In my opinion, Petco has no idea what kind of millis they have. I've bought most of my herd from them and have had to scour the internet to find out their "correct" names. I believe this was discussed in another thread. I've bought several of their "Peruvian" millipedes, several being Orthroporus ornatus after close inspection and two are just a mystery. Anyhoo, they're all happy now so that's what matters. My O. ornatus have bred and I have at least 50 babies nearing 2 inches. There will be pics up soon so everyone can see and decide if they would like some. Anyhoo, on to the terrerium...

My guys are housed in a a 20gallon long with 5"of substrate (being sphagnum peat most and organic potting soil(no fertilizer)). I have several live plants, two dishes with semi-aquatic plants & stones so there are no drowning casualties. The GBA's like to "drink" out of them like they are watering troughs. There's a nifty branch to climb on and a small coconut hidey-hole that I partially covered with dirt to make it more inconspicuous. Soon I will have pics. I have no digital camera. Boo for me. Soon everyone will be in my 55gallon and living in the lap of luxury complete with a waterfall. Also, there is a heat lamp (60watt reptile bulb) that shines 8 hours a day. The top is a screen cover that is halfway covered with seran-wrap to keep in humidity. Hope this is descriptive enough for you since I have no pic. I'm open for questions is you have them. I love helping fellow milli lovers. Cheers! ;)

NiGHTS

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It sounds like you have A. gigas. Nevermind what the PetCo caresheet says the scientific name is. My local PetCo lists a different scientific name; I once looked up the name online and got only one hit - the Petco web site. Nuff said. If the pede is thick, black with brownish/reddish inbetween the segments (especially near the rear), and has reddish-brown legs, it is probably an AGB and probably A. gigas.

As for a setup, go with a 10 or 20 gallon tank with a screen lid. Cover 80% of the screen lid with saran wrap/clingfilm to keep the humidity up. For substrate, I would recommend coconut fibre or peat (Eco Earth or a similar brand) or organic compost; or a mix of them all. About 6 inches or substrate is perfect. Add some sterilized oak leaves and rotted wood (be sure to mix it into the substrate, and top with a layer on the surface). Mist the tank every day or two, or as needed. That's about it. Drinking bowls are not needed, except as a way of keeping the humidity up. You don't and shouldn't use a heating lamp, as millipedes hate bright lights. If you need a heat source in the winter, use one of the heating pads and be sure to put it on the side of the tank - never underneath. That's about it.