switching enclosures

earthpig23

Arachnopeon
okay I am kinda new to T's. I have a G. aureostriatum. that was around 2.5 inches when I go it. Switching enclosures was easy for that one. I now have a little (a bit over an inch) A. versicolor. He is currently in a glass salt shaker and has made an awsome web design in it. Well he has molted twice and is now needs to be moved into a different enclosure soon.

My question is what size/type enclosure will be great for him/her to move into? Also any tips on making the move from one to another easier will be helpful. Moving him from the shipment tube to the salt shaker was a funny event.
The baby spider ran every where but from one to the other. to include my slightly archnophobic wifes leg and all over my arms and hand..lol he eventually settled down and we got him in his home. as seen in pic below

Last edited:

smof

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I've not had to rehome any Ts yet but my idea for the easiest way would be if there is room in the new enclosure, just put the smaller one inside it and leave it open. I would assume that the T would crawl out at some point if it's getting too big, and then you can take the smaller one out. Either that or tilt it on it's side and use something soft like a paintbrush to try and encourage the T out into the new container.

I dunno maybe they're stupid ideas, I'm sure someone has some better ones :D

Stefan-V

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I use round containers for my slings, since its easier for me to determine when they are in need of a bigger home. My thumb rule is the diameter has to be about 3-4 times their legspan. As of height depends on what kind of T' you own, if arboreal or burrowing.
You don't want to make their new enclosure too big, since they won't be able to find their food as easy.

Stefan-V

tmanjim

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
try a small kritter keeper on its side. the spider has enough room to grow into it. don't worry about the web, once they get comfy in the new enclosure, they will spin again.

solaceofwinter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
a plastic rubbermade containers at the dollar store may interest you. if it was just an avic id just get it onto my hand and transport it that way. you may try the shaker in the other container and remove the lid, that way sounds good but not half as fun :)