need suggestions

snoflax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Good Evening, I need some suggestions. As some of you already know I lost my A.avic the other day. :( I want to get another T, my daughter said I can have her A.avic, but unlike mine hers is very skittish. My BF said I can get a new T if......I get a T that is easier to care for ( he said most of the unexplained deaths posts he found were A.avics) a T that is docile, and doesnt burrow.
I want a T that is aboreal, fairly docile, although I prefer to look and not touch I dont want something that is going to try and take my hand off if I have to pick him up or put my hand in his tank.
Anyone have any suggestions? I'm partial to avics, but I dont find much info on any of them besides the A.avic and the A.versi.

Thanx

Skypainter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Both of my A. metallicas are docile as can be and easy to take care of.

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Most Avic's are the same to take care of and 90% of their deaths are from ventilation probpems - they are super sensitive to stagnant air. There is no arboreal easier to take care of than an Avic. If you were open to terrestrial species your options get huge and anyone here could probably name you 20 awesome, colorful, easy to take care of T's.

Mark

snoflax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
In hindsight I believe there was probably a issue with my A. avic to begin with, the shop said she was premolt when i got her and she looked it, but no molt, she never webbed other than the little mat she weaved when she was still in the deli container, and she always seemed to have balance issues. she was a sweetie, very docile. By contrast my daughters A. avic has webbed almost the whole container, he climbs everywhere and never seems to slip. and he is a alot jumpier and more active. The same goes for the A. versi and hes just a sling.I know there are some beautiful terrestrials out there, in fact we are suppose to be getting four within the next few weeks. But I think the avics are the most awesome creatures, I love to watch the versi in her little bottle, so graceful, always busy webbing. I just cant seem to find much info on most of the avicularias other than the two we already have

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
snoflax said:
has webbed almost the whole container, he climbs everywhere and never seems to slip. and he is a alot jumpier and more active...I love to watch the versi in her little bottle, so graceful, always busy webbing.
Have you looked into the Greenbottle Blue? They're "semi-arboreal", mine will sometimes go on walkabout and be all over the walls and ceiling. She's got an intricate cave/castle started on/under/over her driftwood ramp, even makes dirt mats and props them up in places. And they're totally gorgeous.

Most are too nervous to handle, but they aren't aggressive. Mine will just stay inside her safe little cave while I have the critter keeper open for maintenance or whatever, as long as I wait until she's in there before I open it. I suspect I'll just have to put a plastic cup in front of her cave until she walks into it and then trap her with an envelope/postcard, when the day eventually comes that she needs rehousing. :)

Swift's has more of her siblings, 2.5" for $65. If you ask, he may still have some that he can sex--mine's guaranteed female. And the new updated freebies page is AWESOME.

Aubrey Sidwell

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think an A. versicolor would be a great choice. I have an adult female that I handle at times and I am raising 4 spiderlings. I think they are awesome. A. avics are problematic. My girlfriends was not that old and a female when it quit eating and then couldn't really stick to the walls of her enclosure. We tried force feeding and giving plenty of water but she still ended up dying prematurely. A. versicolor's are non aggressive, very sure footed, and have great coloration. just as an on the side, I also believe an A. metallica would be a good choice. I have handled my 2 1/2 in. all the time and I have handled a large female that was purchased as an adult so I had no idea if it was ever handled by the previous owner but it had no issues being out.:)

reclusa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mushroom Spore said:
Have you looked into the Greenbottle Blue? They're "semi-arboreal", mine will sometimes go on walkabout and be all over the walls and ceiling. She's got an intricate cave/castle started on/under/over her driftwood ramp, even makes dirt mats and props them up in places. And they're totally gorgeous.

Most are too nervous to handle, but they aren't aggressive. Mine will just stay inside her safe little cave while I have the critter keeper open for maintenance or whatever, as long as I wait until she's in there before I open it. I suspect I'll just have to put a plastic cup in front of her cave until she walks into it and then trap her with an envelope/postcard, when the day eventually comes that she needs rehousing. :)

Swift's has more of her siblings, 2.5" for $65. If you ask, he may still have some that he can sex--mine's guaranteed female. And the new updated freebies page is AWESOME.
I agree. Also rec. mine from Swifts. Great T, great price.:)

MRL

Arachnolord
Old Timer
It sounds like you only have one spider to care for. I suggest you go with a big girl, sure it's more expensive but much more enjoyable in my opinion!

I don't have a huge collection but of it I would suggest a B. Smithi if you can handle some hair flicks but the looks are amazing or the G. Pulchra which is ridiculously docile and a smooth jet black.

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mushroomspore took the words out of my mouth! GBB's are beautiful,semi-arboreal,fast growers, and very easy to maintain as humidity is not a factor. They do incredible webbing,too.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
MRL said:
G. Pulchra which is ridiculously docile and a smooth jet black.
Every time someone mentions pulchras I whimper a little inside. I want one SO BAD, but I'm trying to be a good responsible T owner and have my first three Ts longer than a month before I give in and start getting more. {D

The price for anything big enough to be guaranteed female, Swift (I may order from him always, cause hey, freebies!) being out of them entirely, and me being a college student in general is going to cause it to be a while, too. Ah well. Longing makes the heart grow fonder, or something. :D

MRL

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Mushroom Spore said:
Every time someone mentions pulchras I whimper a little inside. I want one SO BAD, but I'm trying to be a good responsible T owner and have my first three Ts longer than a month before I give in and start getting more. {D

The price for anything big enough to be guaranteed female, Swift (I may order from him always, cause hey, freebies!) being out of them entirely, and me being a college student in general is going to cause it to be a while, too. Ah well. Longing makes the heart grow fonder, or something. :D
yeah I hear you bro - I personally think they are way over priced but I guess the market demands it. I got one because well I figured why not since it was there and I see the popularity with it. I passed up on it the first time to get my B. Smithi girl which cost less and I like that one more because it truly does look great. I will say of my collection the Pulchra is the only one I would ever bother to "play" with since it really does nothing harmful, I don't do that though but it certainly would be if I ever wanted to show it off in that way.

snoflax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok maybe I am dumb:? ,aren't GBB semi agressive? I don't handle my T's, but... I have a daughter who likes to pet them, and my other daughters BF likes to take them out occasionally. Also I am the one who usually feeds/waters them, and I want to make sure if an escape happens I can capture the T without hurting him, and without getting myself bitten.

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
GBB's are not for petting :) They are semi - arboreal, very colorful, lots of webbing and reasonably aggressive in general.

If you buy a G.pulchra, your daughter could pet it all day and it wouldnt care. I have one and it LITERALLY does not care about ANYTHING. I haven't tried but I bet i could blow on it and it wouldnt move. Also jet velvet black is pretty cool looking too.

Mark

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Bjorgly said:
GBB's are not for petting :) They are semi - arboreal, very colorful, lots of webbing and reasonably aggressive in general.
I wouldn't say aggressive. Most describe theirs as "nervous", which I agree with. They won't attack you, but will very likely stay hidden or try to get away.

I've seen lots of pictures of people very carefully handling theirs, I have no idea how they do it and am too afraid to try (as I am a newbie), but it can be done with some specimens I guess.

bugs4life

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
G. rosea is exceptionally easy to care for, does some pretty unusual and cool stuff. Whether they burrow or not really depends on the individual. Mine has never burrowed, though she's been moving around some substate lately.

snoflax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thank you all for your input. After some careful considereration (and being that its tax refund time :D) I have decided to try a couple of different types of T's. I am going to give the terrestrials a chance, never really been around them much. I am going to get a G. rosea and a A. seemani, and then in a week or so, I am going to be getting a adult avic, haven't decided on the breed yet, will kinda depend on what the supplier has. Also my daughter is getting a B smithi and a OBT (which I will NOT be taking care of!) and since all the T's sleep in my room at the moment because it has the most consistant temp, I will get a chance to be around alot of different types.

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If its in its habitat and you intrude or annoy it, it will likely bite you. Outside of their homes, like any tarantula, they become very calm because their in unfamiliar territory. Also, every individual is different and every species has been handled at one time or another, Usambaras, H.minax, H.lividum, king baboons, the list goes on.

There are more aggressive T's than the GBB but it is not "nice"

Mark

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
snoflax said:
Thank you all for your input. After some careful considereration (and being that its tax refund time :D) I have decided to try a couple of different types of T's. I am going to give the terrestrials a chance, never really been around them much. I am going to get a G. rosea and a A. seemani, and then in a week or so, I am going to be getting a adult avic, haven't decided on the breed yet, will kinda depend on what the supplier has. Also my daughter is getting a B smithi and a OBT (which I will NOT be taking care of!) and since all the T's sleep in my room at the moment because it has the most consistant temp, I will get a chance to be around alot of different types.
All very good choices. My only caution is that the OBT is probably the most aggressive/psycho tarantula you can get just be very careful, especially if your daughter is young. It's also old-world, and has much more potent venom than a NW tarantula because its only defense is it's bite - it has no hairs to kick off.

Mark

snoflax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My daughter is 21, she posts on here occasionally as AtomicCareBear. The OBT is going to be hers and her BF's T, and as soon as they get a space set up at his place the OBT will be the first one to leave my room:D
I personally dont like to handle our T's, not because I am afraid of them but because I am afraid for them. If I dropped one and hurt it,whether because of a bite or just plain clumsiness, I would feel awful. And also, I like them to be able to live, as much as a captive animal can, like they would in the wild. and in the wild, for most Ts anyhow people arent picking them up and playing with them like they were puppies. I don't pick up my fish, I have them because I enjoy watching them, same with the T's.
My main concern with getting more docile T's is because escapes happen, and T's sometime need maintanence. If it was a aggressive T, like an OBT, I would be more hesitant about catching the escapee or about being able to help the T if it was in a bad molt, ect. That would be bad for the T.

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ah another avic fancier!!! I was going to suggest a juvie, so that it is out of the more "riskier" stage. You will most likely like the terrestrials as well. If your are looking for docile, I would stay with the gramms. I only have one aphonopelma, so I can't really comment.
Another arboreal species that may be worth considering is Psalmopoeus. Not exactly docile, not exactly aggresive....but definitely defensive, and lightening fast. IME the P cambridgei is a bit more calm than the others. I haven't had a problem feeding and maintaining my adult female. Just a suggestion.
C cyaneopubescens, is a great choice. They are as likely to sit inside a piece of cork bark, as they are to stay grounded. Prolific webbers and awsome coloration. Mine tends to kick if it doesn't want to be disturbed, but its certainly not aggressive.