tiny A. braunshauseni got mites

AcidQueen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i'd like your opinion on this one.
i got a spiderling Avicularia braunshauseni today with a bad case of mites.
i've got quite a dilemma here on how to treat this little one!

how do i get rid of the mites without having to put her in an environment she can't handle (by which i mean dry enclosure)

hope you can help

with regards
acid queen

smof

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Eesh, that is nasty. I recently had an outbreak of these mites on my Ts (<edit> crickets!) including my 0.75" GBB sling. I wasn't able to find any way of removing them from such a tiny T. I changed the substrate and haven't fed it since, and will continue not feeding it until either the mites are gone or it starts to loose body mass. That's all I could think of.

Sorry I don't have any more advice. If it's any consolation I think the mites cause us way more stress than they cause our spiders! Good luck with it though.

Last edited by a moderator:

AcidQueen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i've got her in a dry, well ventilated plastic container and a dead cricket to attract the mites at the moment.
i have no idea where to get those predatory mites, and i've tried brushing them off but she's so small...

i hopes this won't take too long.. this little one is definitely one i don't want to loose..

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You might also want to try getting a q-tip and wet the tip or use a super thin film of vaseline and dab them off. As many as you can anyhow.

Good luck to your poor little spid. :(

G

SpiderZone2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just change out the substrate and if the mites are on the T, I usually leave them handle that. I have never had a problem doing it that way. Just make sure in the future you don't mist too heavily and make sure all cricket remains are removed. Otherwise no reason I believe it should be fine.