Versi Hairs?

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was curious about a few things. I just got my A. Versicolor Sling from Botar today and during the transfer to the new home and during some light work in the home (it got too much water in it so i wanted to fix that). I let the T crawl on my arms and hands while i worked on the home. I did this in the bathtub with everything closed off to prevent escapes.

My question is, do Versi have Urticating Hairs? If so do they often flick them or not that often. Lastly is it something I even need to be aware of when its this small (about 1"-1.25")

fyrburn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
versi DO have hairs, but to get you withthem, they'd need to physicaly rub themselves against you.

And about the size, woot! I find the smaller a T is the more fun it is to handle.They look cuter and are less likely to bite.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
They do have U-hairs but they don't have the tendency to flick them. Instead Avics seem to chose a more direct approach by rubbing them into the victim directly with their abdomen. Only you can know if you need to worry about the hairs at this stage ;) You'll just have to see for yourself...

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
heh i dont know if you know this or not, but hairs aren't the only thing you gotta watch out for with avics. i've yet to get pooped on, but i've got 2 avics now so my chances have doubled.

mybabyhasfangs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
one of our avic avic got my step son in the face, one of the funniest things ive seen for a long time hit him from about 2ft away to, they can launch it pretty far.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yea im aware of that, but for that its just gross and humorous. I would much rather get some feces shot at me then get those hairs on me or getting bitten.

Well so far the Versi has been a real sweetheart, and beautiful.

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
A.versicolor is documented flicking U setae in this paper.

"BERTANI, R., T. BOSTON, Y. EVENOU & J. P. L. GUADANUCCI (2003). Release of urticating hairs by Avicularia versicolor (Walckenaer, 1837) (Araneae, Theraphosidae). Bulletin of the British Arachnological Society 12 (9): 395-398."

Worth tracking down if your interested, but i know some hobbists have also seen A.versicolor flick with it's rear leg's.

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
My versicolors make me itch just looking at them!! I open the cage and I itch.. no need to touch them for me. They put hairs all over their webs and when I open the lid, I swear, it fluffs the hairs and UP they come to git me!! AHHHHHHHH

SpiderZone2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Some people are just more prone to the hairs more than others, but most people will have some kind of reaction at some time. I let the little ones crawl on me and have never had any problems with them. Thus I say so far. They are some of the calmer T's I have! Kind of happened by mistake when I was checking on them, but never had any poop on me as of yet!