New to Mantids info please!!

FortCooper1982

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey all think these things are so cool would like to know what's the best species to keep and what there generally like as pets. Also some cool sites to order these aliens from haha!

bananaman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Heres a link that will help you:

www.google.com

type "praying mantids caresheet" and then click search...amazing all the links it will give you!

juggalo69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I kept one for a while. WC about three inches. Just keep them in a tall, well ventilated container, feed daily, give them plenty of sticks to hang from so they can molt properly. Very interisting pets, semi-docile (unless your a cricket) mine used to sit on my arm grooming itself while I watched TV.

LHP

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here is a great book:
http://www.angelfire.com/oh3/elytraandantenna/

In my limited experience keeping WC chinese and carollina mantids cage height and ventilation seem to be key as juggalo already mentioned. Bad molts seem to be the most common problem. Good Luck!

Lindsey

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if u r going to feed urs a mouse, don't post it here or u get served by some other particular people

spider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Some of the mantids are known to live for a few yhears at the most, well maybe those local to me here in Mississippi.
But they live for short while, lay egg sacs, and then die.
I also noticed they have a tendancy to keep their right rear leg lifted, as they die.
But all I can tell you, being I`m not that experienced in mantids is Moths, crickets, and a misting every now and then. And some good sticks to crawl on.

But I don`t know what else info to give you, best of luck! :D

FortCooper1982

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks guys really wanna get into these things!
I've done a bit of research on the links u gave me will do a bit more when i've decided which sp's to get!
Thats where i'm hoping u guys come in and recommend a sp's for me rather than me researching on all for them!

Randolph XX() said:
if u r going to feed urs a mouse, don't post it here or u get served by some other particular people
Why would i wanna do that? must have been a small mouse or one hell of a big mantis!

juggalo69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
nah, they can take down mouse the size of themselves
How often in the wild do you think a mantid nabs a mouse as a snack? IMO you should stick to invert prey 99.9% of the time. Some of the larger T species may occasonially get a small mouse or lizard as a meal but I believe that it is a fairly rare thing.

FortCooper1982

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok whats a cool species to start with?
I'm well into my scorps and have been for years was thinking about getting into T's aswell but gonna go for the mantids instead!
Can't believe they can take on mice thats unreal!

Last edited:

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
juggalo69 said:
How often in the wild do you think a mantid nabs a mouse as a snack? IMO you should stick to invert prey 99.9% of the time. Some of the larger T species may occasonially get a small mouse or lizard as a meal but I believe that it is a fairly rare thing.
wowowow
u 're pulling out statments without evidence
lotta ppl have seen mantids taking down humming birds
and how would u know it's not quite possible for a mantid taking down a mouse if there are chances?
also, it obviously not a snack

odwan

Arachnopeon
Depends on what you want. Flower mantis are good looking but small, while most big beginner species are not very exotic looking.

Take a look at this website. http://www.exotic-pets.co.uk/products.php?cat=12
It used to have pictures, but you can always google the names.

For flower mantis, Creobroter and psuedocreobotra are not too difficult to keep.

For bigger species, H. grandis/membranacea, Polyspilota aeruginosa and Sphodromantis are very easy.

For some medium size (5-6cm) and reasonably exotic looking species, Parasphendale and popa spurce are good and both are very easy to keep.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I highly recommend any of the Sphodromantis spp. such as S. lineola. They are very easy to care for, they eat just about anything and actively pursue their prey, rarely mismolt, humidity is not that important, grow quickly, and live a long time (for a mantid that is).

FortCooper1982

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sounds cool i'll check them all out, cheers for your advice people! How about aggression on these guys does it differ depending on the species or are they all just generally aggressive?

odwan

Arachnopeon
Aggressiveness depends on the species. By this I mean they are aggressive towards their prey and would go running after them. Mantis don't really bite and even if they do, they wouldnt cause any damage in most cases.

The more aggressive ones will run down their prey and will take on things of their own sizes. On the other hand, the more docile ones will only attack when the prey is close enough. For the most docile ones feeding could be a pain and you might need to feed them flying insects. (which is why I never kept those)

Apart from the pseudocreobotra, the ones that I mentioned are all rather aggressive. (Some people might say that even the pseudocreobotra is quite aggressive, though I think its nothing compare to the creobroter...)

LayneNugget

Arachnopeon
in my area we have mostly chinese mantids. i have read that these dont make good pets as far as mantids go, but i have absolutely loved all the ones i kept! great personalities.

Parahybana3590

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hold Up. Interms of the whole mantis eating a mouse or whatever, there was another thread about this that got closed, so DONT BRING IT BACK UP (let the dead stay dead)!!!

As far as mantids are concerned though, I have an african mantis that is about 4 in full length and even though it is basically all green she is quite a beaut. I highly recommend mantids because they are absolutely fascinating and they can make great "pets", and as far as I am concerned they are some of the coolest freakin' things ever. Whatever you decide on though, good luck:D !

Last edited:

Parahybana3590

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
FortCooper1982 said:
I'm well into my scorps and have been for years was thinking about getting into T's aswell but gonna go for the mantids instead!
Can't believe they can take on mice thats unreal!
Dont completely drop the idea of owning a T because they are great insects as well.Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying that you need to go buy one right now, but later on, you never know, you may just find yourself buying one of these eight legged cats (hairy(unless its an OW T), fast, random moods).

FortCooper1982

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
once again guys thanks for all your help, ill keep ya posted with pics when i get my first mantis
cheers everyone,
cooper