Is this a good place to buy mantids?

Czalz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Snipes said:
http://www.beneficialbugs.com/. For 12$ plus shipping, you can get like 600 eggs!
The hardest part is separating them. I have 2 ooths that I am "incubating" now. I just brought them back inside last week, and I honestly DON'T look forward to separating all of these little guys.

I will say that they are an amazing bug to keep in the house, and they are awesome to watch while they're eating!

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i was thinkig of getting some and keeping some as pets and releasing others, but i dont know what they might do to the ecosystem. They are not native in Washington i dont think

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
T. sinensis or the "Chinese mantid" is not native to anywhere in the US, but was introduced here on the east coast over 100 years ago, they now inhabit most of the US. I believe they can be found in some parts of Washington. If you are going to rear any, just be sure you have plenty of fruitflies available before the ootheca hatches. It is best to keep many of the hatchlings in one large rearing container provided with food (fruitflies) daily, after they molt once or twice they become more cannibalistic and should be separated into individual containers.

mantid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would recommend getting some fruit flies from www.edsflymeat.com, they offer a lot of feeder insects including flies, and they are situated in Washington.

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
why oh why did you give me that link, now i want dart frogs lol!