Poecilotheria subfusca

pokiecollector

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just bought a poecilotheria subfusca 4" female, i know this particular tarantula needs cooler temps. what is the acceptable temps. for this spider to do well ? and any further info or care instructions would be great. thanks

MRL

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Supposed to be kept cooler than other pokies since they are mountain species. Mind if I asked how much she cost ya?

I've been looking for one of similar size.

Steffen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
19-21 degrees celcius is natural. But they will do fine at the usual temps. you use for all your other spiders. :)

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
Jeff,

I thought I had already answered this question for you during our phone conversation. I recommend temperatures in the 65-70 F range. Occasional highs of 75 F are not harmful, but I prefer to avoid them. Nighttime lows can be 55-65 when possible or can remain in the 65-70 range. Although with sufficient access to food and water and a relatively high room humidity they can adapt to constant temps in the mid to upper 70s, that would not be my recommended range and I highly advise never exposing them to temps in excess of 80 F.
You, and anyone else, can download my paper on the subject from the first issue of ARACHNOCULTURE by clicking here.

Jacobi, M. 2005. Experimental housing for montane "tiger spiders": Poecilotheria smithi and P. subfusca: a preliminary report with comments on P. rufilata. ARACHNOCULTURE 1(1): 30-41.
© 2005 Michael Jacobi

In this article I detail the natural environment of Poecilotheria subfusca (central Sri Lankan highlands). In short, the area almost never experiences temps above 70 and a cool afternoon fog is typical with frost possible overnight at some times of the year. Read the article and/or use the search function on this website to find threads where this subject has already been discussed.

Cheers, Michael

Last edited:

pokiecollector

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks alot, ive been keeping mine around 72.5 and i think it gets a little colder at night but not always, just my reg. room temp. you think thats ok it might get up to 73 or 74 every now and then

pokiecollector

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i keep it in the same room as my regalis and there both eating and doing well ill prob. mist the tank before to long.

Duc de Blangis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Michael Jacobi said:
In this article I detail the natural environment of Poecilotheria subfusca (central Sri Lankan highlands). In short, the area almost never experiences temps above 70 and a cool afternoon fog is typical with frost possible overnight at some times of the year. Read the article and/or use the search function on this website to find threads where this subject has already been discussed.
This leads me to ask, which T do you think is the most adaptable to cold weather conditions? Would it be this one or perhaps one of the Aphonopelmas. From what i've read Oklahoma can get pretty cold. Totally unrelated. Just wondering.

angelarachnid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Depends if she is from stock found around Kandy or up in the Highlands around Newara Elya. 2 totally different climates.

Ray