Thinking about Hermit Crabs ^_^

Taiga Shinjiro

Arachnopeon
Hi

Have been keeping tarantulas for the better part of 2 years now.
Have been keeping Brachys, Rosea's and currently own one A. geniculata.

Have been thinking about a small colony of hermit crabs as my next inverts, how easy are they to keep compared to tarantulas, or, how easy are they to maintain overall?

Personal experiences related to hermit crabs would be appreciated, particularly how hermit crab owners out there find keeping them and what difficulties are common, etc. Or, what parts about the aspect of keeping them you've found easy.

Very much appreciated

Taiga Shinjiro

Taiga Shinjiro

Arachnopeon
Forgot to mention

Sorry, forgot to enquire:

Any links to good caresheets for beginners species of hermit crabs. or recommended literature would be of great help too.

Taiga Shinjiro

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
Make sure you have a saltwater dish and a freshwater dish (NOT TAP WATER) and both are deep enough for the crab to completely submerge itself in. Use only bottled water or treated tap water, as some of the solvents in tap water will cause its gills to irritate and eventually limit breathing. That is what most people forget.

Taiga Shinjiro

Arachnopeon
fantasticp said:
Make sure you have a saltwater dish and a freshwater dish (NOT TAP WATER) and both are deep enough for the crab to completely submerge itself in. Use only bottled water or treated tap water, as some of the solvents in tap water will cause its gills to irritate and eventually limit breathing. That is what most people forget.

Hi
By treated tap water, can I assume you mean tap water that has been dechlorinated?

Taiga Shinjiro

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
Taiga Shinjiro said:
Hi
By treated tap water, can I assume you mean tap water that has been dechlorinated?

Taiga Shinjiro
Yes, declhlorinated at least, although some products do more. I use REPTISAFE. It says it also eliminates ammonia and lowers pH. Not sure if all that is necessary though. I used to use spring water, but got lazy about buying it.

Taiga Shinjiro

Arachnopeon
Comaprison

Quick supplementary question
In comparison to tarantulas, how easyis it to take care of a small group of hermit crabs (about 3)?

Taiga Shinjiro