Advice please...tiny white bugs in dirt

C.C.Fan

Arachnopeon
2 days ago I bought a A versicolor (& a B smithii) about 2cm long that is established in a jar! Inspecting the jar now I saw tiny white bugs about 1mm long jumping around in & near the dirt. I am thinking of just setting up a new jar for it to make sure that it has a sterile enclosure.It has a nice little web set up in it's current enclosure, but I can't thoroughly clean it to make sure I remove the bugs eggs, or is there a good way to clean it & also save the spider stress & hastle of making a new web? What do you reccon??:confused: :confused:

PA7R1CK

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sounds like mites. You should replace the bedding as soon as possible.

Nate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For a spiderling, I would take it out and change the substrate. I think you would be under estimating the “bugs” survival skills if you think you can scoop all of them and eggs out.

PA7R1CK

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The best way to handle this is to take your T's out of the enclosures and placing them in tupperware containers "with holes of course to breathe" Buy new bedding and change it. There is no better way.

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Definately move her on to some clean substrate...but keep your eye on her in case she's infested, in which case you'll just move the nasties into her new enclosure. Then you may have to put her in a really stark environment for awhile until they die off.

roberto

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mites don't jump around

Mites are generally slow moving and don't jump. There are many other insects that this can be. What you are describing may be newly hatched crickets. I would change over your container and substrate and keep the enclosure as clean as possible.

common spider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That is true mites do not jump.Like everyone has said take T out and put it into a new tank with new peat moss.

:)

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Without a picture of the "nasty ones", I don't think it's possible to speculate on what they may be.

Following everyone's advice on changing the substrate completely is the best you can do for your babies.

Once they're rehoused/put onto fresh substrate, just make sure and keep a close eye on the new substrate, making sure none of them "travelled" along on your Ts. :)

---
Wendy
---

Nate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Socrates said:
Without a picture of the "nasty ones", I don't think it's possible to speculate on what they may be.
Pictures… No, no, no! :embarrassed:

The only true way to tell is a taste test! ;P

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nate said:
Pictures… No, no, no! :embarrassed:

The only true way to tell is a taste test! ;P
Ok then. Let's see:
Baby crickts should be somewhat crunchy and bitter.
Mites should taste like .....what? Marshmallows? {D

---
Wendy
---

Nate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Crickets go crunch and mites have more of a pop. :razz:

C.C.Fan

Arachnopeon
Socrates said:
Ok then. Let's see:
Baby crickts should be somewhat crunchy and bitter.
Mites should taste like .....what? Marshmallows? {D

---
Wendy
---
LOL...they taste like...CHICKEN. {D
I have removed it into a new jar & will keep a close eye on it to keep see if the little buggers get there too. I have put a little humus in the bottom of the jar & a piece of bark in also. Thank you for advice.
Also how do I tell male from female?:confused:

Nate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
C.C.Fan said:
I have put a little humus in the bottom of the jar
Say what?!?

This is a new one to me! :?

*EDIT*
Ignore the idiot behind the curtain. Turns out Hummus is a different word entirely. :)

Last edited:

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sounds like collembolans (springtails) to me.

I actively encourage collembolans in my enclosures that I keep moist.

If they're "hopping" around and have antennae, don't worry! These will also end up in the water dish in large numbers, I just dump mine back into the substrate.

Last edited: