my rosy

Endora

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am soon going to be transfering my rosy from her plastic tank to a glass tank so i could put heat. her soil is coconut fiber and i was wondering if i would have to put something for her to hide under or would it be better to keep her terrarium as simple as possible
Julie

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
In my opinion, you should always offer a place to hide. That way if they want to use it they can. My female rosie mainly uses hers to explain to me that I have done something that has displeased her. Other than when I do something stupid, she does not hide much. But she has the option.

Endora

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
rosy

see the tank that i have her in now, i had put a cave that you buy at the store and 4 days after i got her, she baracaded herself in it and i dont think that she has come out. There is no entrance nor exit and there has been no sign of her coming out since, does that mean she isnt happy ?

Last edited:

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No, not always. She could just be adjusting to the new environment. Give her a week. Rosies are very strange. They can and have been documented for going 2 years without eating. Let her adjust. As long as her abdomen it still looking smooth, not shriveled or wrinkled, she will be fine. Does she have a water dish?

Endora

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It has already been just over a month that she has been in there, and she has had plenty of water but the entrance is seriously escape proof. Everything looks fine in there. She hasnt changed in appearance, well that i can tell at least.

tima

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mina said:
In my opinion, you should always offer a place to hide. That way if they want to use it they can. My female rosie mainly uses hers to explain to me that I have done something that has displeased her. Other than when I do something stupid, she does not hide much. But she has the option.
I agree. Most of my terrestrials use their hides or burrows. My rosie, however, sits in front of, on top of, next to, and across the tank from her flowerpot, but I have yet to see her venture more than 1/2" into it!:? The important thing is, that she has it there if she feels a need to use it.

Tim:cool:

Endora

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well that is good to know .. i think that i will put a piece of curved bark or something like that rather then a cave. Do you think that iu should undo her baracade or just let her come out on her own. (she has already been in there a while)

Ronj

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have two G. Rosea, a male and female. The female has never gone into her hide, the male never comes out. I think it is decided early on in life, you know, that breast or bottle thing! Who knows???

Endora

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i guess on another subject that i need info on .. how would i know what gender my T is .. ?

bananaman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Endora said:
i guess on another subject that i need info on .. how would i know what gender my T is .. ?
Well, on the hide thing: let her be, maybe it is in premolt...only try to put a couple of drops of water on the web and mist that side of the tank a little every other day...

on the gender thing, there are 2 ways, take a picture of her underside and post it here, a lot of us can help make a pretty good guess... the other way is wait for her to molt and check the inside of it for a little flap between abdomen and legholes, if its there, its female, if theres no flap, its male... search google, there are a few guides on ventral sexing that will help you too...

cheers and good luck

Endora

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
if she ever comes out of her cave i think thaat i will try to attempt to take a pic of her abdomen and post it here ... thanks you guys have been great.

bananaman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Endora said:
if she ever comes out of her cave i think thaat i will try to attempt to take a pic of her abdomen and post it here ... thanks you guys have been great.
no problem, keep checking the boards, theres a lot to learn, and then you can help others too :) later!

jeffh_x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
note that rosies are pet rocks...its true that they just have the tendency to just fast for long periods of time... but thats what theya re like anyway...as long as you've provided comfortable substrate and water dish, plus a hide, he/she should be fine...

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Read the sticky on G. roseas-- they actualy benefit from cooler temps in the winter- unless you live in an igloo, there's no need for a heat mat.

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a resin reptile log type thing in my Rosie's tank, I blocked all the entrances to it except one and partial buried it, she uses it quite a lot. The longest she has ever hidden is 2 weeks.

NeyNey

Arachnopeon
waldo said:
I have a resin reptile log type thing in my Rosie's tank, I blocked all the entrances to it except one and partial buried it, she uses it quite a lot. The longest she has ever hidden is 2 weeks.
I have the same exact log in my rosie's tank! She loves it!

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
bananaman said:
Well, on the hide thing: let her be, maybe it is in premolt...only try to put a couple of drops of water on the web and mist that side of the tank a little every other day...
There is absolutely no reason to mist a G. rosea....just give her a water bowl.
If she wants a drink, she'll come out and get one. Hiding in her cave is her way of saying "I want to be alone!"
Seriously people, read that STICKY !!

Endora

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my rosie just moulted and i was wondering how long it would take for her to feed after her moult. i know that i should wait for her fangs to turn black again. How long does that take ?

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
bonesmama said:
There is absolutely no reason to mist a G. rosea....just give her a water bowl.
If she wants a drink, she'll come out and get one. Hiding in her cave is her way of saying "I want to be alone!"
Seriously people, read that STICKY !!

Where, bonesmama, do you live? In Canada (Mtl where Endora lives, Ontario where I live) the humidity is likely <20% right now, EVERYTHING dries out quickly. I mist all my spiders every second day (or three days at the very least)

Julie: You should wait at least a week, then feed better safe than sorry ;)

Mori

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
waldo said:

Generally speaking, it is not a good idea to give terrestrial tarantula this much height in their enclosures. They will climb on occassion and this much height increases the risk due to a fall. A good rule of thumb is that the height from the top of the substrate to the top of the enclosure be approximately equal to the lef span of the tarantula.