Mold On T

Mha8649

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok I just got a G.rosea from someone and they where keeping them in a 10 gallon aquarium and had them on wood. and had one of those lids you get when you use the fish aquarium strip lights so basically no air flow .... anyways I was looking at her and noticed on the bottom of her abdomen she had what appeared to be white stuff not alot but its all around her lungs. and shes been acting very strange compared to my other t's. So if it is mold on her what should I do.? :eek:

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Can you get a picture? It could be mites.

Whiskeypunk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If by acting strangely you mean wandering a circuit around her cage, the perhaps she hasn't settled in.

I would take a small art paint brush and attempt to brush whatever is on her abdomen off. If it is external "badness" removing it should help. It may also be poop.

AfterTheAsylum

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Whiskeypunk said:
If by acting strangely you mean wandering a circuit around her cage, the perhaps she hasn't settled in.

I would take a small art paint brush and attempt to brush whatever is on her abdomen off. If it is external "badness" removing it should help. It may also be poop.
Bad idea. A paint brush has too stiff of bristles, you should only use a paint brush if the mold is on the carapace, legs, whatnot. You need to use a cotton swab. Using the finger press and grab just lift her, I have had to do this to a blondi and it took about 5 minutes. Since you have a more docile tarantula, this should be fairly. Just turn her (she will probably remain still) and with the Q-Tip just gently brush the mold away from the lungs and everywhere else.

The Sickness

Whiskeypunk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Soulsick said:
Bad idea. A paint brush has too stiff of bristles, you should only use a paint brush if the mold is on the carapace, legs, whatnot. You need to use a cotton swab. Using the finger press and grab just lift her, I have had to do this to a blondi and it took about 5 minutes. Since you have a more docile tarantula, this should be fairly. Just turn her (she will probably remain still) and with the Q-Tip just gently brush the mold away from the lungs and everywhere else.

The Sickness
YOUR BACK! Sweet, you're one of my favorite posters here.

Mha8649

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thanks will give it a try. let you all how it works out.
<EDIT> avatar soulsick.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mha8649

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Whiskeypunk said:

No by acting strangely I meant when I take the lid off the cage she always climbs to the top when I put the lid back on she turns around and climbs back down ....well this time she climbed back down but instead of bending back to meet the substrate she just kinda laid her head fangs first into the dirt and just stayed there (still attached to the glass face in dirt) untill about 40 seconds later when I touched her back leg she moved. Oh while im posting can anyone tell me if this is indeed a female? Not that it will matter if she dies but would like to know.

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There's no way to tell the sex from that pic. Take a look at the pics in the sexing for dummies thread and that should give you an idea of where you need to focus on in a pic for sexing. I agree, try to get it off if you can without stressing your T too terribly. As for behavior, doesn't sound all that strange. She's probably just settling in to her new home. It can take a good month for them to get acclimated to a new place.

snoflax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My Rosie does the same whenever we take her out of her KK, when we put her back she climbs the side of the tank and just kinda hangs there. So, sounds like normal behavior for the species to me

Mha8649

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well under closer examination I think it may be scarring...after getting her out and having her under a brighter light shes missing hair I think it just scars.
from the old wood chips...But the old substrate had alot of mold Im hoping that doesnt have any ill effects on her health any long term ones anyways.
So I will keep you all updated on her and hopefully shes alright.