Dubia & Discoid substrate ?

LindsayMarie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok so I finally switched my established large colony of dubias to no substrate after getting rid of a few thousand first. Anyways since I moved them to a 90 gallon with just egg crates, I have seen lots of females with egg sacs, but no small babies? I know dubias are a borrowing roach. But many keep them on no substrate (to avoid mites and ease of cleaning) and many use substrate. My question is those who have used both, have you noticed a decline in reproduction with no substrate? If so is it temporary till the colony adjusts to its new environment? Or is it better to have substrate for dubias, any specific kind less likely to get mites and easier to clean (easier on allergies)? I used aspen and it was a pain in the butt! But I would hate to keep them without substrate if they arent going to breed well. To be honest I had no breeding issues with them on aspen, they bred in lower and higher temps. Now it seems they are stressed. But alot of changes were made in a very short time. The colony was cut more then half, they were juggled around for cleaning and packing and then put in a no substrate envirnoment all within a VERY short time. Maybe they need time?

Also I have discoids on the way, mainly as a feeder until my dubia colony gets settled. Can I keep them the same way, plastic bin and egg crates, no substrate?

Thanks for any advice, comments or help you can offer. Lindsay

ScorpDemon

ArachnoScorpion
Old Timer
I cant speak for the dubia, but I have discoids, orangeheads, lobsters, a few hissers, and some lateralis/tartara.. I have rehoused the orangeheads once, and they took some time after being rehoused, probably around 3-4 weeks before they started producing again.. same with the discoids, i have had to rehouse them 3-4 times and there was no production for over a month with 2 rehousings a week apart(had some mold issues) and now they are producing babies like.. well.. roaches..
The only time I used any substrate was when I first got my first roaches, which were Orangeheads, and I only kept them on substrate for about 2-3 months. I am now substrate free in all my roach enclosures, with no breeding problems whatsoever.

MRL

Arachnolord
Old Timer
hey scorp, do ya have a pic of how you keep the discoids? if not what size tank do you use and objects inside the enclosure?

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have used high-quality shredded aspen as a substrate for all of my roaches and I never had any problems with them breeding readily (Discoids, Hissers, Orange-Heads, Lobsters and a recently started B. dubia colony).

xelda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't use substrate for my discoids or dubia. I'm not sure how it would affect production since the adult females aren't the ones to burrow all the time. They actually surface to the top and try to get away from all the other roaches when they're extracting their oothecae.

ScorpDemon

ArachnoScorpion
Old Timer
MRL said:
hey scorp, do ya have a pic of how you keep the discoids? if not what size tank do you use and objects inside the enclosure?

I don't, but I'll take some pics before you get yours, so you have time to set them up. you can probably use a 10 gallon if you want.. until yours mature anyway.. after that you may want something different.. I use rubbermaid tubs.

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't use any substrate with my dubias but I do toss in papertowel cardboards for them and even made a multi-layered cork piece that has about 1/2 inch between layers. Mine seem to breed fine.
Rev

John J Starr Jr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Same here...

DavidBeard said:
I have used high-quality shredded aspen as a substrate for all of my roaches and I never had any problems with them breeding readily (Discoids, Hissers, Orange-Heads, Lobsters and a recently started B. dubia colony).
Same here.

My main reasons are because it helps them get back on their feet if they get turned over on their back and can not get back on their feet again and because I only raise the low odor, live bearing, non sticky, non glass climbing, and burrowing species. All five of my current species like to both climb on egg cartons and borrow in high quality fine shredded aspen substrate.

To each his or her own. Whatever works the best. :D

John J Starr Jr.

LindsayMarie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ideally I would love to give all my colonies aspen as a substrate as I know they like to burrow. But with as large as my dubia colony is (even after cutting it in half) its almost impossible to clean. Especially with my allergies and ashtma. It takes weeks to sift through the aspen and frass to get all the nymphs out as I can only do 15 min- 1 hour at a time. So I switched the dubia colony to no substrate and now that they are adjusted they seem to be doing ok for now. I havent had to clean it yet, but I am hoping it is a little easier to clean.

I also have a 10 gallon with some hissers, I have them on a little bit of aspen, but cleaning a dozen or so adults and a hanful of babies is nothing.

I recently acquired some discoids and more unrelated dubias. For now I have them in small bins, with little bit of aspen and egg crates. I will probably keep these colonies like this until they get a bit bigger. At that time the dubias will be merged into my dubia colony and the discoids put in a bigger, no substrate bin. Assuming I choose to breed the discoids. Not sure if I am just going to use them as feeders or start a colony or both.

So right now I am just starting the non substrate thing and only with my established dubia colony. I am hoping it doesnt affect their breeding. Thats all I worry about really. We will see. I will keep everyone updated.