Stout Leg Baboon Questions

pureabsolutevoid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just bought a stout leg baboon at my local pet store and got him home...

I put him in a jar with about 3, 4+ inches of peat moss...

I saw him yesterday at the pet store and he seemed very active and excitable, but today when i picked him up, brought him home, and put him in his enclosure, he seems slow... i even prodded his back slightly and he didnt real seem like he wanted to do anything to much...

He is crunched against one side of the container... Hasnt tried to dig at all... i mean he isn't in a death curl or anything but this still worries me.

The peat moss is damp because i mix it up with water to get it a good consistancy (if you dont its like powder and collapses on T's), stout legs like it dry, could this be hurting him that much?

what do u you guys think?

Thank you

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They like a pretty dry substrate; they're diggers and heavy webbers. Change out the substrate for dry stuff, give it a small hide to burrow under and a shallow water dish.

Oh, and check it for mites. Most of them are wild-caught and heavily infested.

Whiskeypunk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
davidkappelt said:

I saw him yesterday at the pet store and he seemed very active and excitable, but today when i picked him up, brought him home, and put him in his enclosure, he seems slow... i even prodded his back slightly and he didnt real seem like he wanted to do anything to much...

He is crunched against one side of the container... Hasnt tried to dig at all... i mean he isn't in a death curl or anything but this still worries me.

The peat moss is damp because i mix it up with water to get it a good consistancy (if you dont its like powder and collapses on T's), stout legs like it dry, could this be hurting him that much?

what do u you guys think?

Thank you
They can burrow in dry peat moss. It's nervous about it's new environment. When a tarantula is very scared, sometimes instinct tells them to sit very still and not move. It can take weeks for a T to settle in. Try Pre-making a starter burrow. How big is it? 3 or 4 inches of peat may not be enough.

taorchard1987

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
davidkappelt said:

jUST OUT OF CURIOSITY WHAT IS THE WEATHER LIKE WHERE YOU ARE FROM BECAUSE AS YOU'VE JUST GOT HIM HOME MAYBE HE IS STILL A LITTLE COLD THATS WJHY HE IS'NT MOVING MUCH. OR ANOTHER REASON IS HE'S JUST SETTLING IN TO HIS NEW HOME. JUST DONT STRESS THE T AND SOON ENOUGH IT SHOULD START TO DIG A BURROW

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Mid 70f's seem best for E.pachypus not to cool but they sometimes stress when kept much higher, as said you need very deep sub 4-5 inch's of dry with 2-3 inch's kept just damp at the very bottom seems to work well.

But i have to say the larger W/C females (over 3" leg span) don't always seem to settle as well as the smaller one's.

pureabsolutevoid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hes small guy, 2 or less...

Doesnt seem like he has any mites, temp is about 73 degrees

The peat is signifigantly dryer today (never that damp to begin with truthfully, just wasn't bone dry), and he is still just chilling...

Haven't had a t ever act this way... I do have a small peice of curled cork bark with a burrow started under it, he is leacing this compeletely alone....

Strange.

Sevenrats

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Make sure it has a water dish, a hide of some kind and don't feed it and leave it totally alone. Don't shine a light on it, open the enclosure, nothing. If you can put in a darker spot in the house it would be better.

Leave it alone, leave it alone, leave it alone. Wait 2 or three weeks. It's scared and unfamiliar with where it is.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I think it's safe to say that EVERY species experiences stress when brought home and put in a completely new environment. Give her a few days to a week, she will calm down.

pureabsolutevoid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks.... she has all those things, and it dark... She seems to be a little big more active this afternoon...

Just a timid little girl(crosses fingers?)

Thanks for reassuring me everyone :)

-David

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yeah i got one of these guys recently and i keep her on a dry substrate with a water dish.i also gave her a deep substrate to burrow and some corkbark for decoration.after about a week of gettin used to her new tank she started burrowing and seems to be doing great

pureabsolutevoid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
syndicate said:
yeah i got one of these guys recently and i keep her on a dry substrate with a water dish.i also gave her a deep substrate to burrow and some corkbark for decoration.after about a week of gettin used to her new tank she started burrowing and seems to be doing great
perfect. same setup :)

I love this T alot for some reason, even though I have some rarer and more desireable species.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
I had four of those at one point, and all of them took a long time to settle down long enough to burrow. I believe it was several weeks to a month before I was them burrow. If it has a hide it will be fine. Congrats on your new spider!:)

Last edited:

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yeah i really like this sp. aswell.they look like fuzzy teddybears.im under the impression that they are alittle more docile than alot of the Pterinochilus species but mine has thrown some threat displays and def doesnt seem like somehting id like to handle lol

pureabsolutevoid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I handle mine when I was putting it in the new container, but barely...

Has been threatening at all, but excited to see how it acts when it gets accustomed to its new settings.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Here's my girl, isn't she the cutest?{D :D

Last edited:

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
my stoutleg is about 3" I also keep it on dry peat, its funny though,I don't think the peat is deep enough because it never completly goes in the burrow but always has its abdomen halfway out

ally b

Arachnopeon
hi,
when i got my "jorden" she just stayed where i first put her but she settled in bout a week i fed her bout 2 weeks after i got her she was fine.
would love to breed her.
while we are on the subject dose any one have a male for my sexy {D female
uk only
but i carn`t find a male yet :wall:
some one please email me if u have one for breeding loan or sale
allyb251@hotmail.com

thanks
ally

pureabsolutevoid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I wasnt here all day yesterday and when i came home today he built a real nice burrow! Love it!

pureabsolutevoid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This stout leg was sold to me as stout leg baboon tarantula... What is the scientific name?

I see that there is a E. longiceps and an E. pachypus that both seem to look just like mine...

Any help here?