Leaves?

pureabsolutevoid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was wondering if someone could give me any information on putting leaves on top of the substrate for burrowing species... Will the incorporate this into the external or internal structure of there burrow? Also, what leaves if any are good to use?

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
Use oak leaves they tend to bit more resistant to breaking down than other species. They probably will not actively incorporate the leaves in their burrows. Depending on the species some may just hide under the leaves as opposed to digging full burrows. Personally I don't use any leaves in any of t enclosures.

Last edited:

RD1101

Arachnopeon
leaves

I tried to use leaves one time ( I do not know what kind of leaves) and becasue of the humidity in the tank the leaves tended to get moldy, even dead leaves. And to answer your question some of m T's did use the leaves for their burrow.

Last edited:

TheNatural

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
RD1101 said:
...the leaves tended to get moldy, even dead leaves..
Correct, actually only the dead leaves tend to get moldy, as they are decomposing.

Depending on the specie, it can use leaves, dirt, earth and other things to "cover" its web , in the other hand there are other species that will web everything (like Pt.murinus).

eman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have used dried leaves for years and have found that ts actually do use them quite a bit... they will efficiently use them to help construct their burrow, burrow entrance or simply to plug it up. Also, I find they help give a more naturalistic look to the tank setup. The whole fake plant concept really doesn't do it for me - neither for the spider IMO.

I also like the fact that the leaves slowly decompose into the soil... this means that the soil is "healthy", i.e. not stale or moldy. This only works with well ventilated tanks and natural soil mixtures however (not peat moss or coco fiber). I have used the leaves of many different treas, including maple, walnut, aspen, banana, ficus, etc. All with excellent sucess. They also help keep the humidity up in ventilated setups.

Here's a picture of one of my setups - it's not the best because I usually use bark in lieu of clay pots but you get the idea http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/attachment.php?attachmentid=45619&d=1129343882

Cheers!

Last edited:

pureabsolutevoid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I guess I can try it out... The worst that can happen is they mold and I take them out.

Nice picture BTW :)

eman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
davidkappelt said:
I guess I can try it out... The worst that can happen is they mold and I take them out.

Nice picture BTW :)
Exactly... again, they shouldn't mold if you allow for plenty of ventilation and a healthy substrate which slowly decomposes them.

Thanks - female Pamphobeteus fortis.

common spider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oak leafs are the only ones that I know of that don't brake down so fast and cause mold but after sometime they will I have used them with my small T's only to have to clean the jars out becuase the mold formed on the leafs.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Worms

How bout using earth worms in the substrate to help decompose the leaves? then you can plant some grass too. make it more like the wild. unless you have a desert species then leaves and earthworms probably wouldn't be around

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thx for the info Eman, thats exactly what I tought ... im gona start using them in some species tank