Substrate change?

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
whenever they need to :

When it smell bad in the terra

When i see mold

When I see parasites ...

When I judge the tarantula need something more or when I feel I got to remove something

Sometimes the substrate is just to dry, misting giving no resullt I change the substrate

Sometimes, afther a molt, I feel for rehousing my Ts (thats rare) only if my specimen if very very nice and I want to make a display tank.

... ... ...

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Scolopendra55 said:
How often do you change your T's substrate?

In my adult tanks, I will do spot cleaning and removal of feces, either than that I have had some spiders on the same substrate for around 2 years...I really dont worry about changing it unless the spider has outgrown its current tank..or unless there are obvious problems....

Regards, Mike

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It depends on the T for me I change my G rosea every 4 months or so but she almost never eats so nothing gets messed up. I will change my H. lividum about every 3-4 because she scares me. and the rest about every 2-3. Sometimes I change them just because I want to see something new and different but you hae to think about your T my G rosea hated the sand I put in for her even though it looked sweet she wouldnt even touch it sat on her rock or water dish or her log :? so its back to fine bark

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
For my adults only if there is a problem. For my slings and juvies, only if there is a problem and when moving up to a larger size container. Frequent rehousing can be very stressful and I try to avoid it except when absolutely necessary for the health of the spider.