Substrate *Please Help*

psycho_maggot

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi, i bought some new substrate today, they are like really tiny wood chips, i know they aren't ideal but they are the only thing i could get my hands on and as my tarantula's tank currently has a massive mite infestation, if i used these for a week or two until i can get some vermiculite etc., they wont do my T any harm will they?

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would think for a week or so it would ok...

Regards, Mike

psycho_maggot

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
wow...i am really amazed at how quickly people reply on here!, and another question im trying to coax her into the smaller tank i always keep her in whilst cleaning out her tank, but she is being very very agressive (which is unusual for her) and she is proving impossible to control, how can i calm her down enough to gently coax her into the tank

RVS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Try cupping a small plastic container over top of her and then slipping a stiff piece of cardboard (or something similar) underneath and simply scoop her out.

psycho_maggot

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i tried that, but as soon as she senses anything near her she simply runs , and i dont want to like make a 'lunge' incase i hurt her or something

psycho_maggot

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
sorry if these questions sound stupid, it's just she has never been like this before

pureabsolutevoid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Strange.... I would say remove everything from his current enclosure, get over him with the trapping container and stay still over him until he stops moving and then VERY VERY slowly come down on him.

It will work, just take your time.

psycho_maggot

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thanks for the help:) , im trying to source some Coconut Fibre which i've heard is very good, but there aren't any petshops that sell any reptile products for miles and i cant drive and the local transport is really poor

pureabsolutevoid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Peat moss and earth work perfectly. Don't mess around with that bed-a-beast, i have heard horror stories about it and mold and it is DEADLY expensive. Peat is cheap, works perfect, try it out man.

psycho_maggot

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thanks :), i've got to say, i already really like this forum, everyone is helpfull and courteous (unlike some forums i've used), and it's full of usefull info

psycho_maggot

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've just found out that those woodchips are made of 'Beechwood', are they still safe to use, they aren't going to poison my T or anything are they?

pureabsolutevoid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am not positive, but I think beechwood is fine for bugz. I am going to try to find more info on this.

pureabsolutevoid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Looking online I see no information for or against the fact that it would be bad for bugs... It's sold for reptile tanks so we know it can't be bad for at least them.

I would say it's fine, because if it was a bug detterent like cedar, i would think that it would be easy to find info about it....

Beech just seems like a pretty laid back wood, I think it should be fine.

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
There is an ongoing debate on substrate if you want *way* more info, not that all the conflicting opinions will help. Just click search, up top there, and type 'substrate preference poll'. Beechwood is commonly used for kitchen utensils, I'm sure it's fairly inert.

Bill