New owner questions

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey all. I just acquired a Scolopendra subspinipes and would like some basic information. I have kept venomous reptiles for some time but this is my first arachnid. I have him in a 5 1/2 gallon with moist peat about three inches thick. He also has a cork wood hide. I would like to know if anyone has and advice such as sizing of food and how often i feed. Also i am fully aware of the level of extreme pain I will go through if I were to be bitten so I am exercising all caution with him. If anyone has any helpful advice feel free to share.

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi mindlessvw,

how big is the S. subspinipes? If it is anywhere from 3" up to 10" it would be able to take adult crickets/roaches/mealworms etc. If it is smaller, feed it smaller prey, or prekilled prey to reduce the risk of the prey injuring the pede.

Cheers,

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok he is about 6" so i have been good on the food i have been giving him...How often should i feed and doe he need any specific heating requirements. He has been kept very humid but with no additional heat source.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
mindlessvw said:
Ok he is about 6" so i have been good on the food i have been giving him...How often should i feed and doe he need any specific heating requirements. He has been kept very humid but with no additional heat source.
as long as your room temp doesn't get much below 60*F at night, additional heating is probably not needed. centipedes are a sort of lower temp critters than tarantulas or scrops

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
mindlessvw said:
Hey all. I just acquired a Scolopendra subspinipes and would like some basic information. I have kept venomous reptiles for some time but this is my first arachnid. I have him in a 5 1/2 gallon with moist peat about three inches thick. He also has a cork wood hide. I would like to know if anyone has and advice such as sizing of food and how often i feed. Also i am fully aware of the level of extreme pain I will go through if I were to be bitten so I am exercising all caution with him. If anyone has any helpful advice feel free to share.

I'm sorry, but I feel the need to correct this. Centipedes are myriapods, not arachnids. (not trying to be disrespectful)

Centipedes are a lower temp invert, like Caco said. Especially the Mau Chau variant. It might be a good idea to keep it on a dry substrate with a water dish, and be sure to toss some isopods in there to curb food build up as well as mite infestations.

Roaches and crickets will be enough, but feel free to toss in the occasional pinkie.

Look at the enclosure sticky at the top of the thread.

Good luck with your new pet and welcome to the world of invertebrates.

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
sorry I was mistaken on the arachnid/myriapod. Thanks for the info. I do not mind being corrected when I am wrong. live in South Texas so it constantly stays above 60 and obviously humidity is big so I think he will be pretty good in the enclosure. About what size could i give him a pinky?