Kilimanjaro babboon info?

Spider-Steve

Arachnopeon
hey gang at arachnoboards,

Let me just say this is probably the best place to get info on tarantulas out there, so i know i've come to the right place.
I've been keeping a G. Rosea for over a year now and she is doing well, however i still consider myself a beginner in the hobby
I was lookin to try my hand at keeping an old world species, and i had the opportunity to check out some kilimanjaro babboon slings
i have no idea what the scienitifc name is and id very much like to know.
if anyone could supply the latin name, some pics, info, anything, i'd appreciate it

Spider-Steve

Arachnopeon
awesome, thanks
first post went not too shabby
so its close to P. murinius?
same wicked temper? ...as compared to other OWs that is

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In my experience with keeping 6 P. chordatus and many many more P. murinus, chordatus aren't nearly as defensive. Good choice for a first old worlder in my opinion.

Take care.

Gary

Spider-Steve

Arachnopeon
so a decent starter OW, thats cool to hear
has anyone got any pics of their P. chordatus? ( i kno this isnt the pictures forum, but wat ya gonna go)
and if anyone could recommend any other starter OW?

T.Raab

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Spider-Steve said:
so a decent starter OW, thats cool to hear
has anyone got any pics of their P. chordatus? ( i kno this isnt the pictures forum, but wat ya gonna go)
and if anyone could recommend any other starter OW?
You will find plenty of infomation here (incl. pictures): www.baboonspiders.de

;)

taorchard1987

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
BileDrunk said:
In my experience with keeping 6 P. chordatus and many many more P. murinus, chordatus aren't nearly as defensive. Good choice for a first old worlder in my opinion.

Take care.

Gary

Wow, its just my Chordatus then which wants 2 kill it owner, cool

Spider-Steve

Arachnopeon
suppose each individual has its own temperments
i must say im a little more partial toward the Pterinochilus species
the question now is which one?
chordatus
lagardi
murinus

and how do these guys compare with say, the ceratogyrus species

again, any input welcome

steve

T.Raab

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi,

it depends what you want. ;) ..

P. murinus = fast and more aggressiv then the other. This species is often to see.
P. chordatus = more calm then murinus and lugardi. They are normaly a burrowing species.
P. lugardi is like P. murinus very fast and nervous. They also are a very prominent burrowing species. (I had a female that was 4-6 month under the earth.

If you have direct questions, it would be easier to answer then "any input welcome". If you like to read about this group. Go to: www.baboonspiders.de there are plenty of infos !

Spider-Steve

Arachnopeon
thanks for the info
i suppose im lookin for something a little more visible than a "pet hole"
when i say "any info welcome" i only mean to start a discussion on the topic of P. Chorodatus, so ill try to be less vague

heres a specific question i was wondering, since a P. Murinus will make elaborate webs if denied a burrow, will P. Chorodatus do the same?
i kno they should be offered the opportunity to burrow, but ive read that certain babboon species do quite well without it

cheers,

steve

T.Raab

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Spider-Steve said:
heres a specific question i was wondering, since a P. Murinus will make elaborate webs if denied a burrow, will P. Chorodatus do the same?
Hi Steve,

P. murinus makes normally lots of web and they are VERY opportunistic. They lives in barks, holes in the earth, in bushes, trees and sometimes they dont do anything and sit only on the substrate. Mostly they web a lot but not always.

P. chordatus makes less webs then P. murinus. They often makes webs that cover the hole substrate and their burrows.

taorchard1987

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
T.Raab said:
Hi Steve,

P. murinus makes normally lots of web and they are VERY opportunistic. They lives in barks, holes in the earth, in bushes, trees and sometimes they dont do anything and sit only on the substrate. Mostly they web a lot but not always.

P. chordatus makes less webs then P. murinus. They often makes webs that cover the hole substrate and their burrows.

Mine has not burrowed it has only webbed the corners of his encluse SLIGHTLY

T.Raab

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
taorchard1987 said:
Mine has not burrowed it has only webbed the corners of his encluse SLIGHTLY
How long do you keep yours?

I keep some adult female of P. chordatus and the most had made a typical burrow. If you got an adult (old) female, its not abnormal that they need much time before they begin to burrow. I had a C. bechuanicus female that begun to burrow after one year! Also some of my big P. chordatus did their burrow after some month.

In what conditions do you keep them (dry, wet, warm, cool)? I suppose that they need an external effect to start their burrowing agency (like dry out or seasonal).

taorchard1987

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
T.Raab said:
How long do you keep yours?

I keep some adult female of P. chordatus and the most had made a typical burrow. If you got an adult (old) female, its not abnormal that they need much time before they begin to burrow. I had a C. bechuanicus female that begun to burrow after one year! Also some of my big P. chordatus did their burrow after some month.

In what conditions do you keep them (dry, wet, warm, cool)? I suppose that they need an external effect to start their burrowing agency (like dry out or seasonal).

I keep it on the dry slide with a water dish and SLIGHT moisture. The temp i keep it at is 80 degrees. Im not sure onthe sex yet, im thinking though it may be a male. How big do these generally grow too?

T.Raab

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The conditions are optimal. I keep mine in room temperature, so in winter around 21°C [~70 degree]and in summer it can be over 30°C [~86 degree] (two years ago i had about 38°C [~100 degree]).

Normally they grow up bigger then P. lugardi and less then P. murinus TCF. I would say in body length about 5-6 cm.
Male mature in early stage and reach normally only 3 cm body length. Females can be mated from the same size. They mature also very early but arent full grown.

taorchard1987

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
T.Raab said:
The conditions are optimal. I keep mine in room temperature, so in winter around 21°C [~70 degree]and in summer it can be over 30°C [~86 degree] (two years ago i had about 38°C [~100 degree]).

Normally they grow up bigger then P. lugardi and less then P. murinus TCF. I would say in body length about 5-6 cm.
Male mature in early stage and reach normally only 3 cm body length. Females can be mated from the same size. They mature also very early but arent full grown.

mines is probably about 3.5" at the moment

T.Raab

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
taorchard1987 said:
mines is probably about 3.5" at the moment
3.5" what ? (Body length, Legspan, ???)

If you want proper information, pls try to put some engagement in your post. ;)