Species Brachypelma hamorii (a.k.a. Brachypelma smithi)

Ronj

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have two B. smithi slings and #1 molted yesterday evening. He decided to molt in a weird position / on his side and up against his hide. This was a quick molt at less than an hour.

Notice how dark abdomen is about 30 minutes before molting.

#1 is against his hide with legs in the upright position.

Done Deal!

Size of molt.

Cool Picture.

Out for the first time!

I purchased two of these guys on 10/30/05. The following is their molt records. # 2 Should be right around the corner.
#1....................#2
11/02/05 ...... 11/02/05
01/05/06 ...... 01/05/06
01/19/06 ...... 01/23/06
03/07/06 ...... ?

beano3k

Arachnopeon
Thats so cool that you got pictures of it happening, i've never actually seen any of my T's molt:clap:

Ronj

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
beano3k said:
Thats so cool that you got pictures of it happening, i've never actually seen any of my T's molt:clap:
This is the first time that I have seen this as well. It really helps if you are unemployed and bored to death. I will work for food...or crickets! :D

tnewb06

Arachnopeon
Does that make me lucky then? haha! Ive had my G. Rosea for 5 months, and have caught her molting the both times shes done it! And yes, I am very busy with school and sports, I am rarely at home and in my room at the same time (besides at night). Is seeing your T molt a semi-rare occasion?

-Max

beano3k

Arachnopeon
Ronj said:
This is the first time that I have seen this as well. It really helps if you are unemployed and bored to death. I will work for food...or crickets! :D

lol I know what you mean. :D

psycho_maggot

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey, Before you all start going on about the substrate, it is the result of an emergency substrate change (Mite Infestation) and i just haven't been able to get any new substrate yet. I apologise for the quality of the pictures, they are only taken on a 1.3 Megapixel camera (My Mobile Phone), they don't bring out her colours or anything:( , i'll get some new photo's as soon as i can

MrWhite

Arachnopeon
What's wrong with the substrate? Looks like vermiculite?
Oh, nice smithi :D

Steffen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For emergency substrate, why not just use papertowel? :)

Ps. It's not the camera. Just don't take pictures through glass and use addional light. Pictures don't get blurry or dark because the camera has a low resolution. :)

Last edited:

Ronj

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is number 1 and number 2. Both were purchased at the same time and molts have been close. Very fat and happy.

Ronj

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

I posted this picture a few days ago.

Wow! The little guy molted today and is starting to show some beautiful colors.

Bedlam

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congrats! I cant wait for my little one to start showing. :D

stubby8th

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I love these little guys - such great color, especially just fresh out of a molt!
My juvie just molted again as well last week!

Last edited:

Ronj

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It is amazing how much they jump in size after a molt. That must feel like that pair of jeans that we have in the closet that "will fit again" someday soon, wink wink.

Marcelo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey Ron:

Great B. Smithi. Your avatar RULES !!!!

I which I can buy another motorcycle in the near future.