african black giant millipedes?

showdownmetal

Arachnopeon
anyone know anything about these things? i wanna get one but i need to know more about them and google is a waste of time. im goin to college in the fall and before i do i need to know if these or any arachno is a good college pet.... but back to millipedes whats there line of defence? what do they do if they feel threatened? and if my house is room temp do i need a heating pad for one?
thanks

crashergs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
actually google has really good information, you just need to know howto refine the search for AGB's.

I bought 3 african giant blacks without knowing anything about them, once I got home I went to research everything they needed such as their enviroment they live in, their daily lives, and what they eat.

you need to have an ambient temperature in the enclosure between 76-80 degrees farenheit. I use heat pads with an exo terra viariable heat device that can decrease the heat of the heat pads, dont place the heat pads beneath the enclosure, place it on the side, they will bury and can burn themselves if you dont have a variable heat pad.

They need ample room for them to crawl, you should have an enclosure twice the length of the millipede, the more room the better, use common knowledge. I use bed-a-beast and dampen it with water as they like moist substrate, dont over kill it with water as they are prone to losing legs/mold/disease if you overkill with moist water, it just needs to be damp, that also aids in helping them dig. the substrate should be fairly deep, like 8 inches. having more than one agb is advisable, they like company :) plus having one is boring, they move slowwwwww.

to eat, they like cucumbers, squash, anything non-acidic, no lemons, or sour things. carrots, you know where im going here. celery too, good to have them hydrated. they dont need water dish, they will poop in it, which is not good, they will get their water from again celery and fruits/vegetables. you can take out the food when you feel that they are not eating it for some reason. Ive had a cucumber piece in my aquarium for several days like 6-8 days, they will continue to eat it till theres nothing there.

with their protection defences, if threatened, they will poop on you, excrete liquid that is poisonous not to humans but to smaller animals, highly recommended you clean your hands, however I dont, ive accidently consumed their liquid and i havent seen any ill effects.

i would always see one at petshops and didnt see any amusement to them since they are BORING!!!! but this gets me as close as i can get to handling a centipede :)
they are fun good luck

Last edited: