Psalmopoeus Care

Potemkin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So I'm thinking of getting another T, and I'm almost certain that it's going to be a psalmopoeus cambridgei. Well it's between that and a chromatopelma, but I'll probably wind up getting both.

So my question is, how much humidity should I put in the enclosure? Everyone lists it as on the high side, but are these rumors unfounded? The reason I ask is because the avicularia I had was kept at around 40-60% humidity and did absolutely fine.

Also, what kind of cage size would I need for it? The one I'm purchasing is already about six inches legspan, so could I keep it in a five gallon/ten gallon/ exo terra? I kind of want the exo terra, just because it looks like a sweet cage, but it's so expensive...

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
humidity is not overly important in my (albeit limited) experience with Psalmopoeus, a water dish and misting every 2-3 days is more than enough. At 6" it's big enough for virtually whatever sized container/tank you want. A 5 gallon would, IMO, be sufficient.

Best of luck,
Mori

Potemkin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for your help!

I might go with a ten gallon, just because it seems like it's a really small cage for a six inch critter, but I do have a vacant 5, so who knows.

Joe

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
my adult female P. cambridgei is in the 5 gallon sized Kritter Keeper, has plenty of space IMO.

Mori

Potemkin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, I'll put her in that at first. After all, if she'd be just as happy in either, why spend the money?

Do you see your's a lot? Like does it wander around at all? Or is she a pair of legs in a tube web?

stooka

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i keep mine in a tall sweet container and she is around 4inch or so.I spray every 2-3days as it has alot of ventilation and dries out quick.shes always out in the open and walking round,a very good feeder too.

Potemkin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sweet! Just the kind of T I want. So I am buying a mature female, and I'm thinking that it would be a real shame to not breed her. The thing is though, I've never bred tarantulas before. Is this a good species to start breeding with? Or should I try that with rosies first?

MRL

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I keep my adult sized irminia in an even smaller container than 5 gallon and it does fine. It's far more active then my other arboreals. I mist twice a week. They seem pretty easy to care for.

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think a P. cambridgei is a wonderful choice. I have a 6" female and she is great. Fairly active, which to me means I see her out and about a few days a week. I keep her with a water dish and mist maybe twice a week. Some people say these guys need higher humidity, but you will find many people who keep them on the drier side and they do just fine. From my experience, they are pretty hardy and will adapt to just about anything. The 5 gallon should be fine. I have mine in something that's probably about 2 1/2 or 3 gallons and she seems to do fine with that size.

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
A great choice, indeed. My 6+ inch female is house in huge critter keeper...about equivalent to a five gallon tank. She is beautiful and always visible. She often goes toward the "back" of the tank, though. This is gonna be my first breeding T as well. I have a male, but waiting for him to mature. I will post my experiences and will be looking for advice.
I keep my psalmos with shallow substrate and a water dish , a piece of cork and plastic vines, because IME they do like a "safe spot". If the tank is more than 5 gallons, I would provide a hide as well. It seems to make them less skittish. The can be QUICK if given the opportunity, so always be "ready" when opening the tank.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
i haven't found the adults fast at all. In my experience, they tend to be stubborn and refuse to move, but that could just be the CDN climate :p :D , or my particular specimens.

I see all my spiders regularly, I can't tolerate hiders ;P