day time and night

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was wondering if anybody here cranks their tank heat during the day and drop it at night? or you keep the same temp all day and night?:?

cashewman1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In nature that generally happens, but i leave mine on all day and night because of how cold it is up here in wisconsin

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I keep my day temps in the scorp room at 30c and down to 20c at night.

Murziukas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I use digital timer. There is no best coice of day/night ratio, but it would be usefelu to use 12/12 mode. You can look through my treads, there was one while back about it.

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Heya Quiz,

My temps range anywhere between 78F (26C) on the low-end and 85F (29C) on the high-end during the day (mean = 80F/27C). During the night, temps may drop as low as 65F (18C) (mean = 72F/22C). Typically, all of my scorps are most active at temps between 75-78F (24-26C) during the night except for my A. phaiodactylus, which feed during the day.

Take care,
Luc

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
is it advisable to leave the heat for day and night the same if you want your scorpion to feed because mine is active at night time?

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Barkscorpions said:
Heya Quiz,

My temps range anywhere between 78F (26C) on the low-end and 85F (29C) on the high-end during the day (mean = 80F/27C). During the night, temps may drop as low as 65F (18C) (mean = 72F/22C). Typically, all of my scorps are most active at temps between 75-78F (24-26C) during the night except for my A. phaiodactylus, which feed during the day.

Take care,
Luc
does your androctonus still feed feed at night when the temps are below 21 degrees?

Normski2020uk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I keep my day time temp around 30 Deg C, and drop it at night by 5 Deg or so.

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Quiz,

First, in the natural world there is no such thing as a "perfect" day or night thermal regime and for the past 450 MY, scorpions have done an outstanding job of foraging, mating and creating retreats during a myriad and diverse range of climatic conditions both, beneficial and adverse; stable and extreme.
In nature, warmer days and cooler nights is the rule rather than the exception so, should it be anything less in captivity? Keeping scorps at a constant temperature range during the day and night would probably "seem" a bit unnatural to most scorpions!
I can't speak for anyone else but all of my scorps (including my L.q's and Andros) are the most active and feed the heaviest when temps are between 75F-78F (24-26C). They will feed at temps down to 65F (18C) (maybe even at lower temps?) without problem. The only differences I've noted is that at temps below 75F, the defensive reactions of most scorps decrease and at temps above 75F, they begin to increase. At temps above 85F (29C), scorpions seem to exhibit the most heightened defensive reactions. A Leiurus quinquestriatus or Mesobuthus martensii at a night time temp of 75F are completely different scorpions when temps reach 85F! While I DON'T buy into all that scorpions being aggressive crap, at temps above 85F (29C), most scorpions tend to respond and react defensively much quicker than at lower temps. This is probably one of the reasons that in regions where medically significant scorpion species occur, that the majority of envenomations occur during the hotter period of day, with substantially fewer envenomations reported during the night (there are other factors to consider as well).
The problem with assigning temperature ranges for captive scorpions is that they are primarily based on often highly-variable/unstable surface conditions, which can vary greatly from the more stable environment within the burrow.
While the surface conditions within a desert will be suggestive of a scorpion that lives a thermoxerophilic lifestyle, the environment within the burrow may be mesic, with cooler temps and higher, more stable RH levels.
And, even at lower temps, opportunistic generalist predators will feed if an opportunity presents itself. Also, not all scorpions are night time foragers and a few do feed during the day (A. phaiodactylus and P. villosus).
All of my Androctonus spp. not only feed at lower temps but perform retreat maintenance and mate during these cooler nocturnal periods. Why? Because it's only natural! LOL

Luc

ThatGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My jungle scorps set ups are 80 in day and they drop to 55-60 at night and my desert scorps are 80-95 in day and they drop to 50-40 at night.

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
do you still drop the temperature at night for scorplings? I'm not too sure what to do with my scorplings temp so I just drop it to 65F at night and crank it high to 80F - 90F during the day.

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Quiz,

For scorplings, I keep temps between 78-82F until they achieve stadium III. This also provides for a faster rate of growth coupled with frequent feedings.

Luc

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Barkscorpions said:
Quiz,

For scorplings, I keep temps between 78-82F until they achieve stadium III. This also provides for a faster rate of growth coupled with frequent feedings.

Luc
ok thanks bro.