where are all the androctonus?

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is it just me or in the past year have the Androctonus species that have been available in the past seemed to dissapear and become replaced by large orders of death stalkers?

cashewman1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Being new to the hobby i couldnt say but If you gave me the choice between something known as a Deathstalker or something known as an Androctonus Australis, I would probably choose deathstalker. Also maybe they like LQ's coloring more? Im not really a fan of the whole Androctonus color scheme, even though some of em look the same haha. o well who knows

canadianscorp

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i dont know about anyone else, but i dont see why color would matter that much. I mean yes some scorpions do have nice coloring, but to me the whole purpose of owning scorpions is to study them and watch their unbelievable instincts and habits. many scorps ive owned have been not so much catchy to the eye, but still very interesting.

cashewman1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
True but in choosing between two species, IF they both have a lot of similar qualities coloring could easily tip the scale, Especially if you want a pet not a speciman.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It has to do with what has been collected and imported in. I know Swift's has A australis and A amoreuxi available.

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
All-

Some Egyptian shipments should be coming into the USA within the next several months and we should see a few Andros including A. bicolor.

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Barkscorpions said:
All-

Some Egyptian shipments should be coming into the USA within the next several months and we should see a few Andros including A. bicolor.
how come nobody is importing a.crassicauda from egypt?

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Quiz,

It's not about importing certain species as much as it is about being able to find and collect them. Where are the Orthochirus spp., Parabuthus hunteri, etc? We get many shipments of scorps from Tanzania, which has a scorpion fauna of around 30 species yet, we only see a handful? Mozambique has around 25 species yet again, we only see a few! Where are all the P. transvaalicus and O. Africanus from Mozambique?

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Barkscorpions, I hereby do charge you with the noble task of searching the world for all of the forgotten scorpions. Godspeed to you.

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Many of the species commonly imported are farmed rather then actively collected in the wild, hence the non-representative sample of the countries fauna.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
fusion121 said:
Many of the species commonly imported are farmed rather then actively collected in the wild, hence the non-representative sample of the countries fauna.
Really??? Now that's interesting. I would like to know more about that:)

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I somehow find it hard to believe that people are "farming" Deathstalkers and other potent species lol. Maybe Emperors but not Deathstalkers.

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I do know that M. martensii are farmed in large quantities for use in Chinese medicinal treatments. As for the farming of other species - it's possible but I've heard nothing regarding other species aside from M. martensii.
As for L. quins - they'd be one of the easier species to farm as well as all of the Andros - harvestin' time would be interesting! LOL
Oliver, do tell us more...

Luc

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hell,

"ThatGuy's" farming Androctonus spp. with the numbers he maintains! LOL