babycurus jacksoni

NastyNate

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:D so im getting a babycurus jacksoni soon. any one have any tricks or great info on them?? much apreciated

canadianscorp

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
these are my favorite scorps. keep them warm(80 then up to 90 every couple days),and also pretty humid like around 70%. Have something for them to climb ie: bark(they climb alot) they will eat alot! every week when i throw crickets in, these guys grab them right away. also very interesting scorpions to watch eat, they will sting their prey many times repeatedly until they are satisfied they have injected enough venom, then they will take their prey and climb into a safe place and eat it, sometimes even upside down. overall great scorpion and they do well in captivity. i have a few right now , but i am getting alot more soon to have a bigger communal tank, and i hope to breed them. ive heard they breed very well in captivity also. hope the info helps. have fun with a great scorp!

woodson

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Congratulations!
Babycurus jacksoni is a kind of beautiful scorpion and move very quick.
All red and very cute!

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
they may -seem- docile when you get them, but they are unforgiving, one mistake and you will be in a whole world of pain ;)

Wikkids_Wench

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They definitely prefer moist substrate, although one of ours seems to prefer a slightly drier substrate to the other. You'll soon get used to your scorpion's preference. Mixing a little sand into coconut fibre or peat helps with this as it allows moisture to disperse more easily through the substrate and avoids bits of it getting waterlogged.

Depth of substrate is also essential - more important than a large surface area in their tank. Both of ours have around 8 or 9 inches of substrate in their tanks and have burrowed right to the bottom.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my jacksoni has made a scrape or two, but not a burrow. it seems kind of odd hearing about them digging ....

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
All-

When I used to keep this species, all of my specimens (n=8) were retreat opportunists and while a few would excavate shallow scrapes, I never observed any specimen excavate a burrow. A bit atypical for the species.

Luc

canadianscorp

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
yes i agree. i have had many b.jacksoni's and have never seen one burrow. but anyway if any scorpion enthusiast has never kept b. jack's , i would deffinately recomend it. to me they are right up there with some of the most interesting scorps tp keep.

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
And...

I can assure you, after receiving several "stings" from wc specimens, it do smart a bit! They're beautiful but can be a bit "testy"! LOL

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Canadian-

Their sting is just a bit painful - not as painful as C. vittatus but you'll remember it for a few minutes! LOL

canadianscorp

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
bark,

haha, ya i bet. ive havent been stung by a scorp yet, close lots of times but never stung. im sure i will soon enough though, lol.

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Canadian,

Being stung is an acquired taste and the consequences of having a hyper-curious nature! LOL

Luc

canadianscorp

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
curiosity killed the cat!, haha jk. i know what you mean though. after keeping scorpions for a long time you get so used to them that you sometimes forget that they are wild animals, and they will defend themselves readily, i guess ive been lucky so far....knock on wood.

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Heya Steve,

Actually, more like purposeful accidents! A few years back, I became intensely curious about the pain factor involved in scorp envenomations and with a desire to experience the stings of a few of the more common species, I began free-handling them without any caution in order to experience envenomation first hand. Didn't really bother me much as I have a very high pain tolerance - until I got tagged good and hard by C. vittatus (West Texas specimen). I've taken several good stings from C. exilicauda without any effect but C. vittatus turned it up and turned it on - felt like how I'd imagine battery acid would feel being injected into and moving through your body.
Worse than even large H. arizonensis! Since that time, I've taken 3 more stings from C. vittatus (Illinois and Missouri specimens) and they were NOT like that of that big West Texas gal.
Next to that one Texan C. vittatus, was a fem B. jacksoni! She got me several times. The sting was painful but what got me was the throbbing, burning, lingering radial pain - hurt like hell to move my fingers, hand and wrist. Mesobuthus martensii also has a fairly painful sting! LOL

Luc