Creating a live plant enviroment for T's

SheWithFangs

Arachnopeon
Hi all, for a while now I have thought about making a terrerium with live growing plants. Are there any T's that would benifit from the humidity of that kind of enviroment? What substraits would I use in the bottom for the plants. I'm thinking of tropical plants like mini ferns, bromilliads and mosses....I want to surprise my hubby with it so I want it to look like i know what i'm doing.

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
Come join us at ArachnoCon and you can hear/see my presentation on this very subject!

The genera Ray mentioned are ideal; though unless you are an experienced keeper you will probably want to stick with Avicularia. Substrate is a matter of personal preference and much heated debate, but unfertilized potting soil is fine. If you wish to use live moss as ground cover I recommend placing it upon a bed of damp sphagnum (orchid) moss. This provides moisture, rooting surface, aeration... I'd recommend using potted plants and sinking the pots into the substrate and hiding the pot itself with moss or other cage decor.

Cheers, Michael

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes Michael. I am sooooooo looking forward to that. I've been researching doing a vivarium with rhachys, millis, and so on for a while, but haven't had the time commitment yet. Now I'm invisioning beautiful flowering orchids and avics.....

angelarachnid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Some Avics minatrix for example go through a dry season for breeding, if you want to breed the specimens in the planted vivs, you might want to find out how the palnts would react to no water for a couple of months.

Ray

SheWithFangs

Arachnopeon
Now you guys really have me thinking! I have a beautiful pink toe who was our first tarantula and still my favorite. I'm thinking of getting one of those tall cages that open in front for the project. How big would you guys recomend the tank be?

Also i want to do a desert enviro one with succulents (but no spiny plants because of the live animal). My hubby uses peat moss in all his tanks but would crushed granate/ sandy soil be fine for a desert tarantula?:?

P.S. We thought about going to arachnocon but this year is a no go as we are moving and all our vacation time is going to that:wall: Maybe next year.

SheWithFangs

Arachnopeon
Ok I just got done going through the topic where every one shows off thier terreriums and all of a sudden I want a spider all my own.....

Hmmm, I wonder if my hubby will notice one of his slings missing? if I sneak it into my own container into my hobby room?

Please ohplease dont let me get addicted!

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I am beginning to do this as well, all of my cages have live plants in em too. It looks WAY better!

common spider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just redone all my tanks and they are very simple but 100% natural.

100% Peat Moss.
Log Hides.
100% All Natural No Dye Terrarium Moss.
Rocks.
Tree Branches.

The only think that is not natural is the temp strips and water dishes.

Last edited:

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
SheWithFangs said:
Also i want to do a desert enviro one with succulents (but no spiny plants because of the live animal). My hubby uses peat moss in all his tanks but would crushed granate/ sandy soil be fine for a desert tarantula?:?
I use a mix of dry peat moss, unfertilized soil, and clean play sand in my desert setups. I use the sand because I plant with succulents, and they prefer a sandy soil. The potting soil in the mix allows the substrate to pack together well enough for the Ts to burrow. I haven't had any problems with this mix. I recently added some coconut fiber (bed-a-beast) to this mix as well. This has a higher acidity that inhibits mold growth.

angelarachnid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
PERSONALLY

I dont bother with any of this "naturalistic" set ups.

They take to much care which equalls to much disturbance to the spider.

They cannot be seasoned properly unless you have the correct plants,

they take up to much space,

they only species that really gets any enjoyment from them are the humans,

I have yet to hear a spider asking for a more naturalistic environment, remeber people these are Invertibrates with very simple instincts, breed feed and grow.

But if you want to do one i would go for something around 2x3x4 dxlxh and fill it full of A. minatrix who really do live in plants

Ray

SheWithFangs

Arachnopeon
You are right. The spider doesnt care, but I do. I like to see things out in the wild, or as clsoe to a wild eniroment as I can make it for my own visual pleasure:D I'm not going to keep hundreds, just one or two so it isnt like I will be short on space or time to tend it:D But that is just my own personnality, the artist in me likes to create things;)

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ivy and Philodendron's would do well in some tanks, make sure there is good ventialtion in the tanks as well..

Regards, Mike