Fringed Ornamental & Usambara Baboon

Spiderling2006

Arachnopeon
I have a questions about these 2 little guys. I have one of each and they are only about an inch in length. I wanted to know what the growth speed was of each. Also, what do I use for a water dish with such small tarantulas? I am using a dish but im afraid they're too big:? . Help would be greatly appreciated.

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You can use a bottle cap for a water dish and I think P. murinus' growth rate is fairly fast. Not positive though. Don't know about the pokie's growth rate sorry.

Thanks,
Ryan

Spiderling2006

Arachnopeon
Hmmm that is interesting. It would be great to watch it grow, but it always climbs to the top of the container and is nowhere near the food (crickets). So i dont know if thats a bad thing or what. I wouldn't mind it much, but then it, referring to my P murinus, spins a web around its entire self. This spider has been confusing me.:?

Mr Ed

Arachnobaron
I usually don't have a dish in with my slings, I just make sure a part of the substrate is moist. Once they get to about 2" or so I usually rehouse them in a larger container and then start providing waterdishes. RyanC's idea of the bottle cap works good. I've used milk caps as well, They are't quiet as deep and wrok just as well. I don't do pokies, but OBT's usually grow fairly quickly.

Whiskeypunk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Spiderling2006 said:
I have a questions about these 2 little guys. I have one of each and they are only about an inch in length. I wanted to know what the growth speed was of each. Also, what do I use for a water dish with such small tarantulas? I am using a dish but im afraid they're too big:? . Help would be greatly appreciated.
No idea what a fringed ornamental is, could you post the scientific name? It's really helpful to know what the scientific name of a T is. I can think of 3 or 4 spiders that could maybe be called fringed ornamental.

If a fringed ornamental is a Poecilotheria, then the growth rate would be kind of fast to very fast. P. Murinus (usambara baboon) also grows fast.

For water on slings up to 2 inches I usually just run water some water down the side of the cage, or spray some on their webbing.

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Don't worry about the food if its abdomen isn't shrinking and make sure it always has fresh water, you can just hot glue a bottle cap to the side of the tank for the pokie, and P. murinus love to web ive heard, so that doesn't sound too weird.

EDIT : As far as I know a fringed ornamental is P. ornata

Thanks,
Ryan

Last edited:

Spiderling2006

Arachnopeon
Well thats good that they both grow somewhat fast. The scientific name for the pokie I have is Poecilotheria ornata. They have both eaten food already so thats a good sign, but the fact that the P. murinus just rests upside down on the top of the cage is strange. thanks for the info guys.

stooka

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ive had both as slings before and they both grow quick,ive found the pokies to all grow very fast,and P.ornata being 1 of the biggest pokies then dont be suprised if it grows to around 8inch,my female is 6yrs old and bout that size and she just looks the b****x:D

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Spiderling2006 said:
Hmmm that is interesting. It would be great to watch it grow, but it always climbs to the top of the container and is nowhere near the food (crickets). So i dont know if thats a bad thing or what. I wouldn't mind it much, but then it, referring to my P murinus, spins a web around its entire self. This spider has been confusing me.:?
Your P. ornata is arboreal, so it should stay up off the ground and towards the top of the cage. Just make sure it has a branch or cork board to climb on. Also P. murinus tends to web a lot, which is perfectly normal and healthy for this species. If it is hanging upside down on the top of the cage, it may be reacting to your substrate which could be too moist or perhaps seeking greater ventilation if your air holes are at the top.

Natco

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a few that seem to just hang out like the what you describe your Usumbara doing. I would not let it trouble you too much. Mine came down to eat when they got hungry. If it really bothers you you could try redoing his housing. I found the longer I had mine the less they hung around like that.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I never worried about providing a water dish for T's 1" or smaller. I would still be housing a spider this size in minimum, a 20 dram vial up to a quart sized deli cup at maximum. The T should get all the moisture it needs with regular misting and feeding.
Poecilotheria and Pterinochilus are both quick growers. You'll likely see a growth increase of at least 1/2" (if not more) in your Poec after it's next molt.
Around the 2" mark, a water dish is definitely appropriate. You can use anything from small 1 oz. condiment cups to bottle caps etc.etc.

Take care.

Gary