metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
setting up a nice colony of these

Last edited:

jwasted

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They call them grave yard crickets here in AL. They can get to be a pretty good size. People find them in water meter boxes and basements.

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i believe these are African.... but i know next to nothing about crix...

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice pics of Phaeophilacris bredoides. They are not crixs, but their close relatives. In Poland, in "real environment" they can be found only in greenhouses.

jwasted

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
once it warms up I will post some pics of the ones we have around here. They look very similar.

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok. I've just check their systematic postion. They were moved to Gryllidae family... so you can call them crixs :D
Yes. Their mainland is Africa.

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
so what do you call the cricket looking grey color thing under the potted plants?

the jumping legs are horizontal and not vertical.

but they really look like flattened cricket.

were they gray cricket?

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Dark Raptor said:
Ok. I've just check their systematic postion. They were moved to Gryllidae family... so you can call them crixs :D
Yes. Their mainland is Africa.
Cheers Dark Raptor, now i have something to write on the tank!

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How high do they chirp? How hyper are they?
They do look pretty good, but crickets in general are little monsters.

Offt: Solace: that's a nice avatar )

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
metallica said:
i don't care what they are.... as long as they taste good!
spoken like a true spider!!!

well, a true myglamorph spider heheheheheh

rm90

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mmm.. delicious.. cave spider. :drool:
Good luck on breedin those bad' boys!

Bearo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A friend of mine got some of those last year in hamm.. all were males :/
So check yours too..

Ant Worker

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I kept a single one of these crickets last year, wonderful animals. Mine lasted several months, even going through several molts since I aquired him as a baby. He ate well, eating a good cricket every 2 days and eating fish flakes and dog food. Very active animals, keep us updated.

Digby Rigby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
African Cave Cricket

Phaeophilacris bredoides, the African cave cricket. Females get 19-24mm long and 79mm in diameter. Males have rudimentary wings females dont. Thus chirping isnt an issue.:clap: Female have ovipositors just like other crickets. The rear legs can get about 5cm long! They are very good jumpers.
if kept at 20-22 degrees celsius eggs hatch in about 8 weeks and reach adulthood in about 9 months! At 26-27 degrees celsius th succession of generations is shortened to about 5-6 months and embryo development takes about 3 weeks. The nymphs reach adulthood in about 4-5 months, then they live another 4-6 months. A female produces 150-200 offspring. Temps over 30 degrees celsius inhibit development. They have a strong odor. Due to the amount of effort in breeding them versus return they arent suitible to use as feeders for large amounts of animals. They are however more interesting and fun to watch so they are good if you only have a few animals to feed and also like having the crickets more as "pets" instead of feeders.

DigbyRigby@exoticfeeders.com
http://exoticfeeders.com

You dont win the silver medal you lose the gold!