rubbermades and heatpads

JTrott

Arachnopeon
Are you talking about a human heating pad? If so, I would not recommend it...they are not designed to stay on 24/7....they will go out on you, and you may not ever know when...take it from experience... If you are talking about one of the sticky aquarium heat pads, I would say yes you can....as long as you have a thermostat or rheostat controlling the heat that comes out of it...I have seen one get up to 140 degrees plugged straight into the wall. It might not melt the plastic, but it sure will become pliable, and possibly sticky at that temperature.

Jason

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
As JTrott said, you can indeed use a heat pad with a rubbermaid, just make sure you have a rheostat or thermostat. Many snake people also use human heat pads, which also work provided you get the kind without the shut off timer thing.
Rubbermaids have a pretty high melting point, and anything that's hot enough to melt one is also going to be hot enough to kill your snake. Make sure you use a rheostat or thermostat! Heating pads can get well over 100 degrees, so in my opinion you need to have one anyways.

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
JTrott said:
Are you talking about a human heating pad? If so, I would not recommend it...they are not designed to stay on 24/7....they will go out on you, and you may not ever know when...take it from experience... If you are talking about one of the sticky aquarium heat pads, I would say yes you can....as long as you have a thermostat or rheostat controlling the heat that comes out of it...I have seen one get up to 140 degrees plugged straight into the wall. It might not melt the plastic, but it sure will become pliable, and possibly sticky at that temperature.

Jason
I disagree....I use and have been using human heating pads to heat my snake's enclosures for the past several years now. I leave all of mine on 24/7 and I have never hooked one up to a thermo/rheostat of any kind, I just set them on 'low' and thats it. In fact, I have one heating pad that my mother purchased 6 years ago which still works perfect today. The human heating pads never get nearly as hot as the pet store variety from what I've seen. As long as you allow a small gap of space between the pad and the enclosure, you need not worry about excessive temperatures.

The Juice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've used human heating pads on my Leopard Geckos & Ball Python that were housed in 12q & 28q sterilites with no problems for about a year. I'm using just one human heatpad right now because I feel it might be a fire hazard since they weren't made to stay on 24/7. I'm not sure but I don't want to risk it. Good luck if you try it.

nine livez

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

dont do it! it will melt the containet over time. rubbermaid containers are soft and melt easy.

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
nine livez said:
dont do it! it will melt the containet over time. rubbermaid containers are soft and melt easy.
I disagree. I've been using heat mats on rubbermaid and sterilite bins for the past 3 years, and many breeders use the smaller bins in their rack systems. The plastic does not melt easily.

jwmeeker

Arachnopeon
Not a problem at all. We heat all of our racks utilizing (made up of sweaterboxes/rubbermaid containers) flexwatt heat tape tied to a thermostat. It is smart to provide some sort of small gap between the heat tape/pad and the surface that it is resting on though.

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I agree. As long as you are using a thermostat, the heat pad or flexwatt will not get hot enough to melt the plastic.

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
somberloathing said:
i have the sticky ones u plugged into the wall.would that melt a rubbermaid?
Those are the ones I use. I've personally measured these type of heat mats at over 130 degrees F, I keep them hooked up to either a thermostat or a rheostat. Like I said earlier......if it's hot enough to melt plastic it WILL kill your snake. Normal snake temperatures will not melt the plastic. Just keep it regulated as was said earlier in this thread.