I have another questtion.

Endora

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Had anyone ever had a rosie that eats the entire cricket including the shell ? mine has been doing that and for a while i thought that the crix were just escaping from the terrarium. Then yesterday i saw her shoving everything in her mouth 3 times. *ps i know that question only has one T i write it enough.

Fierce Deity

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mine tends to do that too. I went to clean out the dead crickets the other day, and could only find about one or two, the rest had been fully eaten. I don't think this is a problem though.

Endora

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ya i thought that that was weird becasue usually everyone says that they leave the shell. Well mine happens to be a porker. {D

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
It's also pretty likely the T did a good job of dumping the bolus somewhere where you havn't found it yet. One of my Ts has on several occasions dumped substrate on the bolus - though I believe not to hide the bolus but just accidentally due to digging activity arround the same time.

I'd find it unusual if a T was actually to eat the entire cricket since especially crickets have a pretty tough shell and only the absolutely smallest particles can go down into the T's mouth. I would have no problem believing that a soft bodies insect could dissapear entirely.

Nate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I never find any remains. I just assumed they ate everything on the crickets. :?

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
Nate said:
I never find any remains. I just assumed they ate everything on the crickets. :?
They might, as I said, but I'd find it a bit unlikely.

Libertykeeper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Cirith Ungol said:
I would have thought it entirely unlikely as well, except, My G. Aueostriata never leaves anything behind. I mean, I have watched her through numerous feeding sessions from the second that she bites til there's nothing left...I have even gone in and checked the exact area that she fed for "leftovers" afterward, and never found any. I guess I didn't attribute masticating tendencies with Goldenknees. None of my other T's do this, I can always find shell remains with them :confused:

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
As I also mentioned, it depends on the skin of the insect or feeder. If it's soft bodied or newly shed and thus still soft there's no doubt it all can go down unless the prey item is too large for one meal.

There could be several possible reasons for the shell dissapearing anyway:
- Ofcourse the old one of the T being good at dumping it in a hidden nook
- That individual has very potent digestive fluids (I don't think that chewing often enough will do the trick!)
- The T being so hungry that it stays at it until it's all gone (in which case I'd imagine it all takes a while longer).

Natco

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a few that seem to do this same thing, especially my T. blondi. They always have some left overs if eating roaches, but never crickets. I'm not oppose to the idea of the left overs beeing hidden, but the left over roaches always get dumped in the water dish. Always. The crickets never do.

MsDemeanor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My Avics tend to wrap the leftovers ( shells and uneaten crickets ) up and hang them up for me to take out on the outside of the tube webs... come to think of it.. the pokies do almost the same. The land lubbers tend to almost leave nothing at all but wings and legs strewn about the enclosures lol. With my burrowers, once the cricket goes it...none of it ever comes out :D

NeilD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My Rosea leaves bits when she isn't too hungry, top bit bottom bits odd leg her and there, but just after (10 Days) her last moult she wasn't leaving anything.

My blondi sling always dumps his left over crix in his water dish, Left over Pinkies in one particular corner.

My blondi Juvi Female, Doesn't seem to leave anything of anything even fluffs seem to completely dissapear, She bit/fanged the head off of a locust the other day but when I looked later that had also gone :eek:

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
no cricket hair left

Man my Ts eat them all too not even a cricket hair left....
I have A. seemani and G. Rosea right now and my A. Anax didnt leave a trace either unless ya count the spidey poo

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cirith Ungol said:

Yep, 100% unlikely. T's cannot digest the chitin in a crickets exo. Here's an old thread on the topic.

Gary

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
BileDrunk said:
Yep, 100% unlikely. T's cannot digest the chitin in a crickets exo. Here's an old thread on the topic.

Gary
Well then, thanks for clearing that up :)