T euthanasia?

NYCspiderGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is a conversation I was having with a friend about a versicolor who is about to die of old age. It will not eat and can hardly climb at all anymore, lil' bald guy has lost all color typical of versi... looks pooped!
We wondered (theoretically only) if it was kinder to freeze rather than watch the t slip off glass, wood and rocks.
(one suggested feed to another T, but idea wisely nixed before being considered by rest of Peanut Gallery)

FIRST: Please no radical preaching from left or right on this -
I am not trying to DECIDE to euthanize this T, only carry the conversation to the Boards.
We thought it was interesting but I will do no such thing.
(In fact, I gave this guy the penthouse tank and the best real-estate in the place for those golden weeks.)

SECOND: NO T's WILL BE EUTHANIZED HERE based on this theory.
I love animals and this is not the place to remind us to "think of the children" As this is the "Discussion" forum, we just wondered what others thought.

We remembered hearing someone talk about this a while ago, but did not pay much attention to subject at the time.
Watching the versi slip off the glass all day has gotten us wondering what to do for the little guy. I am more inclined to buy him a tiny Porche for his "grey hair and age-crisis" period and find him some young versi-babes, but that is for another discussion thread.

Anyone ever do this?

SpiderZone2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I had done this once to a male that had met his time. Sad but true. It is up to you if you want to do this or not. I don't know if it is any kinder or not, but I did only because I had caught him in the death curl and had save him once. But he was going to meet his ends anyway. I just placed him in a smaller like whipping cream container. Put him on the front porch. Since I live in colder climate it didn't take that long for him to pass on. He still did the dealth curl, but he was near his end anyways. I guess it just depends on your point of view on this. The T was a H maculata.

MicahHall

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have also helped a T get to the big web in the sky. My Rosehair was slowing starving itself to death, didnt eat for more than a year, and finally one morning I found her in a death curl and hanging on by a thread. I could have let her just die there, but I didnt know how long it would take so I opted to put her in the freezer. It totally sucked, but which is worse.. a slow and depressing death, or a faster end? Its up to you to decide what to do. I did for it what I would rather have done for me. Hurry up the misery so I can go on to better things.. and NO that doesnt mean that I want someone to put me in the freezer when the end of my time is near... Im just using it as an example.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Personally, I would consider the feeding to another T option. I can't imagine that a specimen which is barely hanging in there sees much difference between being eaten and being frozen. Plus it's energy is recycled so to speak.

Gary

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It is a matter of personal choice. I have had pets euthanized and will again, I imagine. I can't watch them suffer. I'm not sure what I would do about a T in that situation. It was hard enough to take the other animals to the vet to be "put to sleep". I'm not sure I could do it myself.

V3i HoN6

Arachnopeon
Normally how long would it take to put the T to "sleep"?
If my housemates found out that I put a spider into the fridge, the next thing being put inside the fridge will be me.

NYCspiderGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It would be the Freezer, not the fridge. And not too long - an hour or two.

And if we hear about this in the news, we will know who put you into the fridge.... those roomates!!
Don't worry - you have Arachno-witnesses now!

Good arguments, guys.
I have to admit, I was afraid I would get a less adult point of view seeing the level of "scientific" arguments in this country currently, but you all stayed ON topic! Score one for objective thought.

It is still a dilemma for me - which is why i opened the thread - but unless I see what I think is an "unhappy" T (suffering) I cannot try to make that decision. When I have been forced to euthanize a pet at the vet's it was traumatc, but unavoidable. The only decision I was asked to make was to stop the suffering right away or give myself "time to accept what will happen"... I clearly made first and cried for days afterwards.

Hope this stays in the theoretical for as long as possible... the luxury of discussing this topic without consequences.
When it happens, there is NO good decision, only a decision to be made.

Bedlam

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If I knew one of mine was heading out, I'd consider this option. There's no point in letting it suffer. Just like any animal you put to sleep, it's showing that you care by making sure it doesn't suffer. Good on you to bring this difficult discussion up. :clap:
However, feeding it to another T is another story. I couldn't do that to one of mine. Not only because it wouldn't be the greatest way to go, but also so I wouldn't harbour any resentment towards the feaster. I just couldn't go that path.

NYCspiderGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yeah... the only reason I even mentioned it - sort of as a joke - is that it does have a certain appeal. Nature recycling energy, the one "consuming the spirit of the other" and all that.

However, if I am looking for a HUMANE way to end a pet's life, it seems like it should LESS resemble tossing people to the lions in the Colosseum, and less entertaining in general. I guess that is another topic, if that is amusing to some.

Would it be sexist to wonder if it is more of a "boy thing" to want to feed one T to another? Just a question. Probably not... just another stereotype assumption.

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
NYCspiderGuy said:
yeah... the only reason I even mentioned it - sort of as a joke - is that it does have a certain appeal. Nature recycling energy, the one "consuming the spirit of the other" and all that.

However, if I am looking for a HUMANE way to end a pet's life, it seems like it should LESS resemble tossing people to the lions in the Colosseum, and less entertaining in general. I guess that is another topic, if that is amusing to some.

Would it be sexist to wonder if it is more of a "boy thing" to want to feed one T to another? Just a question. Probably not... just another stereotype assumption.
In my point of view the ones who might feed their dying to T to another are ones who are in the hobby just because they like spiders as a hobby and they probably don't generally get to attached to them. They may see no point in wasting a perfectly good meal. For me though I could never do that. I am attched to my ts. If I had to I would probably go the freezer route myself. Like said before since I'm attached to my ts I might resent the eater.

You also know survival is instinct so watching your t get it by another it might struggle and all sorts of other stuff which would make me sad. So yeah deffinately the freezing route if I had to.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I personally have no problem feeding a dying (like, starting to curl dying) spider to another as long as I am certain it isn't sick and could possibly infect the other spider. This mainly goes for mature males.

For something such as nematodes or other incurable parasitic infection that could spread to the rest of my collection, it'd either be put into alcohol or into the freezer.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
consider a few points

the overwhelming likelihood is that the tara can not suffer. period. no equipment for pain... thus no suffering.

that being said... these mysterious little creatures bounce back from death curls sometimes. i lost a P. cancerides ~1" sling container and when i found it that sucker was bone (lol) thin and complete deathcurl... that was 6 months ago and now it's my favorite canc to play with... looks chipper as a jaybird :)

not that a mature male is going to do that... but just something to consider

ah, i guess that was a couple points only

edit:
i did alcohol good death (eu = good, thanatos = death) a spider i got in person once... on the way home i noticed it was nematode infected... still have it in one of alchohol vats, actually

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Scorpiove said:
In my point of view the ones who might feed their dying to T to another are ones who are in the hobby just because they like spiders as a hobby and they probably don't generally get to attached to them.
I understand the idea is a non suffering euthanasia. Just to address the comment quickly though..I'm only speaking for myself but I absolutely get attached to certain T's. I have a handfull that I hope will always be with me unless natural causes dictate otherwise. I do not see my pets as less than anyone else, just differently than some folks I suppose. I do not get attached to them in a way that makes me see them as more than they are...arachnids. IMO, arachnids aren't cuddly, compasionate or considerate of their fellow T. They eat their mate, their young and sometimes just for a good meal, any random specimen that happens by. In the case of wild dying T, this demise is likely common. Since T's cannot be domesticated, I can't help but consider this. Again, I don't believe a lame T would see much difference between freezing to death and being munched. For all we know, being munched is preferable. I completely accept that others don't agree and that's perfectly fine as I'm not trying to convert anyone to my views.
Sorry to hijack...I just wanted to clarify that I do not see my T's as "just a hobby" etc.etc..

Gary

NYCspiderGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Again, I don't believe a lame T would see much difference between freezing to death and being munched. For all we know, being munched is preferable. I completely accept that others don't agree and that's perfectly fine as I'm not trying to convert anyone to my views.
Sorry to hijack...I just wanted to clarify that I do not see my T's as "just a hobby" etc.etc..

Gary[/QUOTE]

no apologies necessary.... that is the point of a "discussion".
If I thought it was an easy one, I would not have wasted time asking for confirmation of something certain like Gravity or Evolution.... oh - wait!

I was hoping for Points of view, not points on top of heads.
Pres. Pinhead leads the way, but no reason to censor oneself.

I have these questions and cannot believe that my decision is the only one out there. Just wondering how others reason this out.